Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2014 15:00

Problems with Venue Pro 11 Docking Station USB Ports

The USB ports on my docking station don't work. After an hour on the phone with Dell in India they tried to convince me that these usb ports are not really usb ports. That they can't be used for such things as connecting an iPhone,a USB drive, an external hard drive, a printer, an MP3 player.  "What are they for then?"  No answer was forthcoming. This is obviously absurd: what is a docking station if not a station to which one docks? And the marketing materials explicitly say that you can do these things.

The dedicated full size USB port on the side of the device works fine, and I've been getting by by connecting an 8 port USB hub to that port. But it is less than optimal since it means that I have to connect and disconnect that line when I dock or undock.

I figure the problem is either A: the dock is defective; B: there is a problem with the tablet vis the dock or; C: there is some software issue I'm not aware of. I've ordered a replacement dock as a way of checking option A, but they are backordered by a month or so, so I won't be able to test that anytime soon.

Has anyone else had generalized USB problems when docked? Put the other way, have people succeeded in using the dock's USB ports normally with a typical range of devices?

I really love the device's form factor, and the range of accessories. My goal is to make this my only PC where I can have it docked with a big screen most of the time (and an external HD of course for more storage) but also be able to grab it to use as a tablet while watching TV, or connect either of the keyboards (I got both, plus the mostly useless stylus) when I travel.  This USB docking thing is more of an annoyance than a deal breaker, but I'd love any input people might have.

4 Posts

July 6th, 2015 22:00

Hi Brian,

First thing I tried was a firmware update. 

My workaround is fine as I can connect my monitors to the ports and run power from there, but like I said. My monitors only support USB 2.0 not 3.0

7 Posts

August 30th, 2015 05:00

My dock - black Reg Model K10A / Reg Type K10A001 which I understand is an A00 model - also suddenly stopped working after just over a year (now out of warranty).

The only functions which do work are charging and audio: nothing else - no ethernet/no usb/no external monitor whereas they all did previously.

The dock led lights up when power is connected.

Venue 11 Pro 7130 fully up to date - A16 BIOS

How does one determine the firmware version of the dock?

Do I need to buy a new dock or is there any way to repair this one?

7 Posts

September 9th, 2015 10:00

Its been awhile, but I am pretty sure it was not the dock firmware discussed, but the tablet firmware version.

7 Posts

September 9th, 2015 10:00

Just bought another one - refurbished for £25 from siliconconnect.com (uk ebay) - same model/type and everything works (maybe it is an A01 version?). Still don't know how to determine the firmware version though.......... 

7 Posts

September 9th, 2015 17:00

Hi Brian B

How does one determine the firmware version?

Thanks

Brian C

1 Message

September 14th, 2015 15:00

All,

I'm having the EXACT same issue!  My dock just stopped working.  I'm currently having to run everything off of my 1 USB Port on the Venue to a USB Hub.   

The Dock ONLY Charges, no audio, USB, external displays! Nothing.  It doesn't even recognize the dock, so I can't even try to update the docking station FW.

I've tried everything!  I don't feel like buying a new one is the answer.

May 30th, 2016 09:00

I received a new dock this week from Dell, plugged it in, connected my Venue 7130 vPro and the only thing that works in the monitor. No USB ports work. A Dell tech replied to another post suggesting I install the latest firmware update for the dock dated May 23, 2016, and still, nothing but the monitor works. This seems like a very simple thing to fix but I guess not. Hope you get yours working soon and be sure to update this thread. I'll do the same if I get mine working. 

4 Posts

May 30th, 2016 22:00

This is exactly where my dock is at the moment, Whilst I had USB troubles only, My LAN Connection no longer works and only monitor functionality is all I'm getting from my dock... 

Frustrating is an understatement.

1 Message

June 17th, 2016 09:00

My Venue Pro (5130) has the same problem with the dock. Dell driver update shows all drivers uptodate (incl BIOS). I tried the USB hub driver / firmware update - does not work. DOS screen cannot locate USBs and installation fails. Still reports unknown USB device (descriptor failed) in Device Manager.  Can someone point me to a driver update that works please?

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 17:00

Brian, can you please give installation instructions on how to install the drivers for the dock? During the installation prompt it gives the following:

(1) Please remove all devices on dock down port

(2) Unplug and then plug Power

Considering I have to install the the drivers from the tablet since the dock usb drives don't work, how am I to install the drivers by removing the tablet and unplugging the power to the dock?

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 17:00

Brian,

Can you please give detailed instructions on how to install the usb hub firmware? Following the on-screen prompts it says:

(1) Please remove all devices on dock down port

(2) Unplug and then plug Power

Am I supposed to remove the tablet from the dock? Doing so won't allow me to update as the firmware is on the tablet since the dock usb hubs won't work. If I keep the tablet docked I get the following error:

!!!No device found!

Initialization() Failed

Filter Driver OK

Press any key to continue . . .

4 Posts

July 4th, 2017 00:00

When you download the docking station driver, there should be a readme file in the extracted directory...

For Reference. (This is what was in my readme file)

Megachips ST4320 AUX Firmware Update Tool

=========================================

General

-------

This installer package is composed of several files:

README.txt - this file

ST4320AUX.exe - the update tool

isptemp_spi_AUX.bin - the ISP driver

Pegasus_splitterApp_0.41.27.bin - the new firmware file

Config.ini - configuration file

Run Options

-----------

1) Ensure that the system is connected to the docking station.

2) Ensure that power and an external monitor is connected to the docking station.

3) Launch ST4320AUX.exe from the folder where all other files in the package reside.

4) Click UPDATE button to update the new firmware.

5) After successful completion, please reset power to the docking station.

6) In case of an error, reset power to the docking station and/or dock/undock the system and then try again.

No Events found!