Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

September 8th, 2010 16:00

Restore Streak To 1.6

Not tried this method yet but its worth a go.

It appears that a specific version of the 1.6 firmware and software version locks up after upgrading to 2.1. To get around this, you need to flash to the stock O2 version of 1.6 then run the upgrade to 2.1.

I was fortunate to come across another users post on the modaco forums that have the links to the original pkg for 1.6 O2 phones.

Stock 1.6 PKG - http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...104_4399_21.pkg

Download the above file, copy this to your SDcard (you will need to use a micro sd reader or potentially another phone that uses micro sd to copy the file on.

Download the pkg file above and copy it to your microSD card named 'update.pkg'.
Place the SD card in the phone.
Hold down both volume buttons on the phone and select the power button
You will be presented with 4 options, Select update firmware from pkg
Allow the process to fully complete
The phone will reboot (takes about 5-10mins to fully complete and you should see O2 bubble logo)

September 9th, 2010 07:00

hey, man- I recognise that handle from spending all day yesterday over at modaco myself.

having absorbed a lot of helpful info from the various threads there, I managed to roll back to 1.6 in about ten minutes, after making sure I'd downloaded the right bits & all.

so after that I distilled all the various hints & wisdom into a single post on modaco.

bottom line is, it worked. my streak is more-or-less back how it was pre-update.

I can sync with the old version of the dell app, etcetera, etcetera.  the photo editor is back. the 2nd camera.. the rooms are back. :-)

I'm hoping that the presence of the "update.pkg" file on the SD will stop any O2 or dell reminders about 2.1

I'm really not convinced that 2.1 brought anything good to the phone- perhaps someone would like to tell me? I can live with watching youtube clips as 3gpp or whatever they are, & I'm not even sure the flash video support worked in 2.1 anyway. I like my streak again.

duncan.

70 Posts

September 9th, 2010 13:00

It's a shame that Dell pursue the line that you cannot restore the streak after 2.1 update when the facts that you can speak for themselves.

Suggest you hyperlink for those users who have trouble searching for your article in fact best not hyperlink just post the address, don't want such an informative link deleted.

September 9th, 2010 13:00

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-streak-streak-modaco-com/317608/streak-rollback-from-2-1-to-1-6-a-b-c/

:emotion-1:

let's see how long this link/post stays put....

d.

370 Posts

September 9th, 2010 14:00

Hi D,

I don't see a reason this would be pulled. It's not in violation of our Terms of Use. I'm just not allowed to confirm this is a fix because its not published or tested by Dell.

I would be interested to know if this is helpful to customers who wish to go back to 1.6. Also, please remember to go back to the previous version of PC Suite (if you installed the new one), as well. You can find the old version here:

It's the one dated 11/06/2010 (UK date format).

Thanks,

Amy

2 Posts

September 11th, 2010 00:00

The real question is - will the real Dell US Streak 1.6 rom please stand up - :) or can someone tell me where the heck I can get it :)

13 Posts

September 15th, 2010 11:00

Duncan,

1st post & a bit of a noob to all this android stuff but am I missing something obvious?  I've download the files with the checksums you mention in your post but these are zip files not pkg files.  What do I need to do to create an update.pkg?

I'm still not sure whether to roll back to 1.6 as the big improvement 2.1 brings is that I now get the 'H' signal a lot more frequently.  Hopefully Dell or O2 will start talking timescales soon.  I can put up with being stuck with a buggy device until the end of the year when 'allegedly' 2.2 will be released but if it is going to be longer than that then I'll probably either roll back or return the device and get something else.  A shame as the streak has so much potential. 

When will large companies realise that effective, clear communication is the key to keeping customers happy.

Cheers,

Jon.

September 16th, 2010 13:00

jon-

did you try unzipping the files? the pkg files should appear then...

fwiw, I have found that the 3G behaviour (the "H") is better now anyway, despite going back to 1.6. can't explain that.

IF the photo editor re-appears in 2.2, I might consider it. otherwise, I'll stay as I am. there doesn't seem to be any movement on the video-calling option either way.

d.

13 Posts

September 17th, 2010 07:00

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for the response.  I am obviously missing something here.  If I download the file from the link with the checksum you mention I get a .zip file named 4399-update-streak-stock-rooted-signed.zip.  When I extract I get two folders (META-INF, system) + boot.img.  Any ideas?

Best regards,

Jon.

September 17th, 2010 11:00

um..... so do I. now. I'm sure I didn't before....

anyway. the pkg files are also on that same page. I think the same thing will happen, though, if you put the zip file, as it is, on the SD card.

hth-

d.

No Events found!