Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2015 08:00

Secure Boot Violation message on a Dell Venue 8 Pro

I booted my tablet (Win 8.1) after performing a number of Windows Updates yesterday and now all I see is a "Secure Boot Violation - Invalid signature detected.  Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup" message after the Dell logo appears.  There is an OK button displayed which does not respond to touch. 

I have tried the boot multiple times with the same result.  How do I resolve this problem?  I do not have a mouse to attach to this tablet. 

How do you enter the BIOS setup without a mouse?

Any help would be appreciated.

15 Posts

September 27th, 2015 13:00

This is also being discussed on the Microsoft Community

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/th210547-secure-boot-signature-violation-when/f90bafb1-6ffe-4e1a-a726-d51205e7a00d?auth=1

There is a Microsoft Software Engineer named David Linsley that is participating in that discussion.  His last post on 9/23/15:

"Unfortunately you cannot enable Secure Boot until either boot manager is serviced or a flight with the boot manger fix is sent out. I'll reply back here when either is true, and I'll try to ensure that Gabe's blog posts also mention when this is fixed."

46 Posts

October 13th, 2015 12:00

What is the specific update / KB number? I am only pulling up a Windows 10 update option, and no other updates (and I don't have enough space left to do the Windows 10 update)

There were about 8 updates besides the W10 update(which appeared on its own several days ago). So the fix must be one of those 'optional' updates, don't know which. I just think the MS updates haven't yet rolled out to you. My OS is W8.1

So recheck in a bit. Good luck!

Edit to update...

Just checked today's installed updates....and it was a re-issued KB3084905 that likely did the trick. It was issued originally on 9/18/2015 relating to TPM lockout occurring.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3084905

Text of interest:

-------------------------------------------

"This article describes an issue in which Trusted Platform Module (TPM) lockout occurs unexpectedly in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. An update is available to fix this issue. Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites section.

Note This update is re-released on October 13, 2015, with a smaller boot loader file bootmgfw.efi"

-----------------------------------------------

46 Posts

October 13th, 2015 12:00

10/13/2015
Alert!
Today's MS Windows updates have fixed the secure boot issue!
So go into BIOS and enable Secure Boot, save config and exit, restart and...
Boom....no....red....'Secure Boot Violation'....box!
And.....(in my case) .... the encryption option has returned to the PC info page

Thank you Microsoft

46 Posts

September 19th, 2015 10:00

Re: "How do you enter the BIOS setup without a mouse?"

Turn off tablet completely (not sleep)....ie hold Power button until tablet turns off. Give it 10 secs or so to rest...then...

- Hold Power button until background lightens and BEFORE Dell logo appears (short opportunity)

- Then release power button and long hold Volume down and release. ....(if Dell logo appears you were too late with Volume down. So shut down and try again)

You should now be at Bios

To regain access to Windows and remove Secure Boot Violation warning.....

- in BIOS screen, go to 'Boot' tab....

- change Secure Boot from 'Enabled' to 'Disabled'

- go to Exit tab, 'Save changes and Reset', 'Save configuration and reset'

You should now be able to get into Windows.

Hope this helps.

1 Rookie

• 

49 Posts

September 19th, 2015 16:00

Kavu,

Thank you for your help.  What do you recommend to restore the Secure Boot configuration?  Should I attempt to restore a previous state using System Restore?

How do I determine which driver signature is bad and correct it?

46 Posts

September 19th, 2015 18:00

Re: "  What do you recommend to restore the Secure Boot configuration?  Should I attempt to restore a previous state using System Restore?

How do I determine which driver signature is bad and correct it?"

That I don't know. I have been unable to restore my encryption function. It is a missing option from the 'PC info' listand not shown in the CTRL panel anymore. In my case I got the red box Secure Boot issue after updating to Dv8P BIOS 11. (I turned encryption off prior to BUOS update).

I tried everything I could think of including a Restore and also a 'factory rollback to square one actually a couple of them).....they did NOT return the encryption option to my tablet. I tried rolling back to an earlier BIOS but was prevented from doing so.

So my path no is unfortunately living with an unencrypted tablet in order to be able to access Windows. Sorry I'm no help for this extension of the problem.

Maybe someone else here has an answer to this issue. I Googled a bunch but found no answers for my case.

You say you got the problem after Windows Updates, a System Restore to an earlier date would be my first try. Good Luck

September 19th, 2015 22:00

I have two Venue 8 Pro's. After applying the latest WIndows updates, both had the exact same symptom. So there is a problem.

The second one I was able to "repair" by following these steps, except I had to get the BitLocker key, and then after booting into BitLocker  (which is what happens after you turn Secure Boot off), I was able to type in that code.

But the second one I could not repair. When I get to the screen to enter the BitLocker key, there is no keypad that launches when I click on the entry field. So I have no way to enter any key codes.

Is there a way around that? Very frustrating: I have the key (BitLocker) to fix this, but have no way to type in they key.

1 Rookie

• 

49 Posts

September 20th, 2015 18:00

What are you referring to as the "repair"?  I am unfamiliar with BitLocker.  Could you explain how to get the BitLocker key?  Does it require a call to Dell?  

I thought the tablet would boot to Windows after disabling the Secure Boot option in the BIOS.  Do you know which of the recent Windows Updates is responsible for this problem?  Can it be uninstalled to get the tablet back to a workable (more stable) state?

1 Message

September 21st, 2015 19:00

Exact same problem. Did a Windows Update on September 18th, next boot up got the Secure Boot Violation - Invalid Signature. Turned off Secure Boot and it asked for Bitlocker Key. Went to Microsoft Bitlocker and got the key. Loads up OK with Secure Boot Off. However, about every third startup it asks for the Bitlocker key again. Doesn't appear to retain the key. And key is a long as** key. Total pain to have to continually put it in.

Has Dell even talked to Microsoft about this? Appears to have been created by Microsoft update.

1 Message

September 22nd, 2015 08:00

Kavu,

I know I am a few days late but thank you so much. I turned on my Dell Venue Pro this morning after applying updates and received the error. This fixed it the first time. Thank you again.

Loni

September 22nd, 2015 15:00

I am also experiencing the same problem.  Very distressing!!  Can't wait for a solution!

1 Message

September 22nd, 2015 17:00

I have the same issue. To obtain the bitlocker key go to http://windows.microsoft.com/bitlockerkeyfaq

I disabled the secure boot. Managed to log back in to Windows on rebooting after the recovery key entry. I then tried a system restore to before the latest windows updates were installed.  On rebooting I enable secure boot but was met same red message of an invalid boot signature.  Now what? I have disabled the secure boot again so at least, for the moment, I can boot an login into Windows.bitlocker

5 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 11:00

I have the same problem.

I did the "fix" above.

Now, EVERY time I turn on the machine, I have to enter the 48 digit key to unlock.

H E L P ! ! ! !

September 24th, 2015 20:00

Yes so did I. 

I was willing to turn off the "BitLocker Drive Encryption".  Now I can boot normally.  However, my drive is no longer encrypted. 

When I typed "BitLocker" in the search box after reboot, I found that I still had the option to turn it back on so I plan to keep watch for a better solution.  Might even try the "Turn On" option to see if the resets the tablet.

I would still like to know  exactly what caused this problem.  If it was an update, which one?  It would be easy to uninstall it.  However it might be some legacy equipment I installed and ran through a powered USB hub. How could one determine which one?

This tablet was my second.  The first one got "fixed" by returning to the factory image.  I checked the bios and found that secure boot was "disabled" and could find absolutely nothing about BitLocker using the search box.

5 Posts

September 24th, 2015 23:00

I had already turned off bit-locker to make the tablet a bit faster so I am not having to enter the key. There are instructions on this post that tell you how to do that. It also says that we will have to leave boot encryption off until Microsoft fixes whatever they broke. 

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/383978-dell-venue-pro-8-secure-boot-violation.html

No Events found!