Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2010 07:00

Streak 2.2 Upgrade and Sync

Ok, so I have done the 2.2 upgrade as prompted by Dell. Various problems to start with using the Backup & Restore utility because the restore caused various upredictable software problems. Got round these by doing a full factory restore to the new 2.2 software then re-building all the options as if it was a new unit. That sorted everything and it seems to be working OK.

But now here is the new problem. I have downloaded the new Dell Mobile Sync program to my PC from Nero as instructed. This has installed correctly - but it simply won't recognise my Streak when I plug it in to USB. I can plug in other devices to other USB ports (such as a memory stick) and Dell Mobile Sync immediatley recognises it. But whatever order I do things in it just won't acknowledge that the Streak exists. And yes, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, etc, etc.

Any ideas anyone? My PC is a Dell running Windows 7 64-bit. And for the record, using Android 1.6 and the old Dell PCSuite worked perfectly without any problems, so I am certain it is not a hardware problem.

8 Posts

November 30th, 2010 06:00

At least you have the upgrade. It would be nice to have that. All I get is "No software updates available at this time" which is clearly rubbish.

I did find this link on Facebook, by it doesn't work for my Streak.

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/streak/streak_dell_en/index.html

There seems to be an unbelievable amount of confusion and misinformation on this 2.2 upgrade. Is this normal for Dell? I've had Nokia's for 13 years and I'm somewhate new to the Streak scene.

Phil

14 Posts

Phil,

I don't claim to be an expert, but from what I have seen trawling around the website Dell are releasing the upgrade in stages (presumably they don't want to be too overloaded with queries as soon as it is out). I am not sure what order they are going in. In my case I received an upgrade notification on the Streak and just followed it through.

14 Posts

I meant to add that, on the Dell Mobile Sync problem, Dell customer support couldn't answer the problem and have referred me on to Nero (who wrote the sync program). I have started a dialogue with them, sent them some diagnostics, and I am now waiting for an answer.

12 Posts

November 30th, 2010 18:00

I'm quite disappointed with the new sync-"solution" from nero. I loved the former sync-software in it's simplicity and functionality. Would like to hear from you, if nero-support could help you ...

14 Posts

December 1st, 2010 00:00

Still waiting for Nero to come back to me - I will post whatever happens (once it does!)...

12 Posts

December 1st, 2010 01:00

Hi, I solved my problem with syncing myself by accident. Because, as far as I saw, there is nowhere in the web - and especially not on any Dell- or Nero-website any hint: I had just to start the Dell Sync widget on the streak to allow connection. This is simple, if you know of it. Spreading knowledge in a systematically manner about a sold product - once, this was in the responsibility of the manufacturer ...

If you don't get help from him, maybe you have to look for example at syncdroid.net, they list most of the sync-alternatives in a chart.

14 Posts

December 1st, 2010 02:00

That's brilliant - thanks. I had no idea that the sync widget existed. Having turned it on the Dell Mobile Sync works. What is so amazing is that the Dell help desk had no idea about it, neither did the Nero one. In fact I phoned Dell at least three times, spoke to different agents, and most of them couldn't even understand the problem. Some of their suggestions were just bizarre. All it needed was this simple bit of information. It also doesn't help that the Dell Mobile Sync help message is empty, so there is no source of information.

Next problem is to find out how to sync my calendar (I will have a look at the website you refer to). Why oh why didn't they just produce an updated version of PC Suite which worked well with both contacts and calendar.

3 Posts

December 7th, 2010 21:00

I have the same situation did restore same windows 7 64 bit issue. connection very spoty when all else fails reboot window leaving dell phone plugged into usb port. as the computer boots up and windows is installing ie window logo coming on make sure phone sync button is to the right side ie showing green ready to accept connection you phone will prompt you to choose to use it as a usb storage device ignore this wait.. After windows is fully up and all you desktop " Junk " is fully loaded Start the Dell mobile Sync program let it do its thing patience is key make sure to check the phone sync is still on the on position itT will find It.

if after finding it it looses it again due to you choosing or clicking on something it did not like you may have to restart mobile sync, and yes you  may also have to umplug and replug the phone to the usb port again and again check that mobile sync on the phone is still on be patient.

Yes the program is less than reliable but I suspect is is due to the availability of a full featured version of the same for sale for $25.00 oh by the way that is the only way that mobile sync will let you bring  video 264 and mp4 with the basic you get accsess to  only  avi,mob, wmv, 3gp so far this is my discovery.

good luck still exploring other sync options

14 Posts

December 8th, 2010 02:00

As I have put elsewhere on the forum, I solved the problem by ignoring Dell Mobile Sync altogether. I have downloaded VCOrganizer Pro (only a few dollars) and the PC equivalent VCOrganizer SyncCenter. I now use these regularly to sync contacts and calendar from Outlook. It works very well with no problems.

Again as I have posted elsewhere, make sure that you have the right drivers on your PC for the Streak (download them from the Dell website) - you shouldn't have to do all that starting and restarting your PC at all.

December 29th, 2010 09:00

Dell Mobile Sync, eh? Yet another bit of software that takes forever to open (on a quad core machine) and then spends the rest of the day organising ALL photos I've taken over the last ten years (many gigabites). Why does every manufacturer provide software that does this? On my machine at present I've got printer and photo editing software doing this; Windows itself does this, my old Nokia software is still doing this, and now the Dell version has joined the queue. A phone is a transitory device which will be changed next year, so all I want is to be able to download photos from phone to computer and not have this software attempt to take over my life. Does it in fact synchronise contacts? Don't answer, I've lost the will...

April 1st, 2011 06:00

The key for me once I learned about the widget (thank you! so much for that) is the sequence. 

1) Start app on computer.

2) Start widget on Streak.

3) Connect Streak cable

oh yeah, lots of waiting mixed in there too.

4 Posts

April 7th, 2011 18:00

Hi there!

I am impressed that (some of you) actually got Dell Mobility Sync by Nero installed on your PC's.

I have downloaded ( took more than an hour with the knucklebrain DELL download manager - untill I eventually read and understood the DELL instructions on how to circumvent the knucklebrain DELL download manager ) "if it works - don't fix it" so why would Dell bother to invent their own (dysfunctional) download mgr. sw???

After the installation: there is no Dell folder, no Nero folder with any backup app installed on my win 7 - 64bit desktop.

Running Froyo 2.2 - updated from O2 / U.K.

I do backups to the micro-sd card, though.

Anybody got any idea why there is no Dell / Nero app in windows?

I have the widget with the green/red slider on th eStreak - but no app on Win7.

(Garmin managed to solve this elegantly w. a 1-button solution on my IQ3600 3,8" touchscreen PDA/GPS 8 years ago.)

Best regards from Hans

1 Message

April 28th, 2011 01:00

So I would like to know why this software isn't free???

iTunes is free (and better by a mile).

You would expect that if you had paid all this money for a device then the software to sync (it fully) would be free.....

Come on Dell... why isn't this free???

No Events found!