Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2014 20:00

Stylus for venue 8

SO excited I finally got the keyboard and stylus for my new venue 8 pro. However, I am completely baffled how to work the stylus? I can write with my fingertip on my tablet, but not with the stylus! How do I operate this thing? Or did I just end up with a "dud".

5 Posts

March 16th, 2014 22:00

Does your tablet have the latest firmware (Version 1.0.4.2, A02) for the touch panel?

915 Posts

March 16th, 2014 23:00

For active stylus operation tips, see this separate thread here:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19565965.aspx

184 Posts

March 17th, 2014 09:00

Do you have the Venue 8 (Android) or the Venue 8 Pro (Windows 8.1)?

As far as I know. Active Stylus support is only with the Dell Venue 8 Pro not the Android version.

157 Posts

March 17th, 2014 20:00

Hi, Andrea.

There have been some stylus issues (understatement city?), but the latest batch seems to be working much better. Please look at your packaging and make sure it says A01, China, and probably Feb. 2014. That's the current revision.

If you have that stylus, please try another battery. There have been a few reports of expired batteries having been supplied. I think that issue has passed, but you could try a new battery to make sure. Some pharmacies may have them in the hearing aid battery section, and somebody said that they're in the camera or watch department at Wal-Mart. (Amazon has them, too.)

Once you've done that, go to the desktop and tap once to wake up the pen. Then hold it over an icon and see if the icon responds. This is the same effect as hovering without clicking. If you get that, go ahead and double-tap the icon and it should open the program.

If that fails, it sounds like your stylus was DOA.

Let us know what you find out.

18 Posts

March 19th, 2014 19:00

One other point, make sure you have the Synaptics stylus. It should have come in a brown box with a AAAA battery included. I've read on a couple other forums where Dell mistakenly sent a Wacom stylus like for a Latitude 10 to a couple folks. The Wacom is a totally different technology and will not work.
No Events found!