Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

November 14th, 2014 05:00

Stylus suddenly has 'cursor' on screen

I've had my 5130 V11P & stylus for ages. Suddenly today, the stylus acquired a small dot as a sort of cursor, showing where it is pointing on the screen. Previously there was no on-screen indication for where the stylus is. I've got 2 styluses, and they both do it. I've tried rebooting & it's still there. Has anyone else had this?

103 Posts

November 14th, 2014 11:00

Weird, I ran system restore & it's back to normal. Now to see if it comes back after the updates are re-applied!

915 Posts

November 14th, 2014 11:00

I've had it appear, and then disappear a day or 2 later, on my DV8P, without my having done anything to cause it. 

109 Posts

November 15th, 2014 07:00

Are you blind? That small dot on the screen has always been there when the stylus gets within 1/2" or so to the touchscreen. It is for pin point precision.

915 Posts

November 15th, 2014 19:00

Are you blind? That small dot on the screen has always been there when the stylus gets within 1/2" or so to the touchscreen. It is for pin point precision.

Nope, I don't have it, and only had it for a few days a while back.

103 Posts

November 16th, 2014 02:00

Nope, I've never had it before. And after rolling back the last round of windows updates, it's gone away again.

109 Posts

November 16th, 2014 04:00

Venue 11 i5 4300y vPro 8/256 A13

Nearly a year of use and I have NEVER NOT seen the little white dot of a Stylus cursor. He's my friend. He used to stutter a lot but now he is always there when I want him. He follows my every command. I feed him Energizer batteries when he starts slowing down. I can't imagine life without him. We play solitaire together and he loves Jigsaw puzzles. I just wish he was better at Chess!!!!

103 Posts

November 16th, 2014 04:00

Nearly a year of use and I have NEVER NOT seen the little white dot of a Stylus cursor. He's my friend. He used to stutter a lot but now he is always there when I want him. He follows my every command. I feed him Energizer batteries when he starts slowing down. I can't imagine life without him. We play solitaire together and he loves Jigsaw puzzles. I just wish he was better at Chess!!!!

Weird - I have the 5130 (atom) tablet, but as far as I'm aware they use the same touch firmware, and I've never had it! Can you turn it off atall? I did read somewhere that turning on 'use numeric keypad to move cursor' in 'ease of access' settings could affect it....

915 Posts

November 16th, 2014 06:00

I guess your experience is different from that of others (who indeed are not sight-impaired).

109 Posts

November 16th, 2014 07:00

Lanurd

I guess your experience is different from that of others (who indeed are not sight-impaired).

I apologize to all the able sighted readers I slighted! 

But now I'm curious as to what would be able to turn the cursor on or off and if the dot could could be altered to cross-hairs or a target.

Can't be the stylus, I have all four versions and they all act the same.

If Microsoft Updates altered it on and off then it should be a Windows thing and not a hardware, BIOS, FW or driver option.

Did anyone identify the update # that broke/fixed? it?

109 Posts

November 16th, 2014 09:00

I'm learning more about my little friend. He is NOT a DOT!

He is a Black Circle with Black Cross-hairs and a White center spot.

It seems I'm the one who needs glasses!!!

103 Posts

November 17th, 2014 01:00

It's definitely one of the windows updates causing the issue - I just allowed my tablet to re-update, and the dot is back. Trouble is it's installed about 30 updates! Don't have time to go through them all & work out which one is causing the problems. Am intrigued to see if anyone else gets this when their windows updates run though....

103 Posts

November 17th, 2014 09:00

I've managed to track the issue down to a security update - KB3002885. Without this installed I have no cursor, with it installed I do. The update does something with GDI & Miracast. Does anyone else have this update installed on a venue pro 11? If so, does your stylus have a cursor?!!

109 Posts

November 17th, 2014 09:00

I've managed to track the issue down to a security update - KB3002885. Without this installed I have no cursor, with it installed I do. The update does something with GDI & Miracast. Does anyone else have this update installed on a venue pro 11? If so, does your stylus have a cursor?!!

I installed KB3002885 on 11/12/14 and I always see the stylus cursor

Info says it's for x64...  mine is venue 11 vPro i5 4300y 8/256 running Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit

103 Posts

November 17th, 2014 13:00

I'm on 32bit (5130), so maybe that has some bearing on things....

No Events found!