Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2013 13:00

Tip comes out of Venue 8 Pro Stylus easily - is this a design feature?

All:

I've got this new stylus on my new Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet and am overall happy with it.  When I got the stylus I was initially a little suprised that the tip comes right out with no real force.  I assumed this was just a bad design and is a risk I took at being an early adopter - to be able to provide feedback on bad designs.  But before I give the feedback to Dell, can anyone else confirm that the tip is indeed supposed to pop right out, or should it be afixed in place somehow.

Thanks

8 Posts

November 20th, 2013 11:00

So I finally got someone from Dell to give me a yes/no answer, and the answer is:  Yes - the stylus is designed for the tip to be replaceable - it is normal for it to be removable via simple finger pressure.  So the message for all of us is to be very careful with the stylus - it will easily come out if it gets hooked on fabric, the elastic loop on the case, etc.  I smell a replacement parts market coming

828 Posts

November 20th, 2013 19:00

The tip is definitely replaceable and we're working with the sales teams to make a tip replacement pack available as an accessory...  With this being said, the tip should not be loose enough to easily slide or fall out - it should require a bit of pressure to pull it out.   If it gets snagged on something, it will come out though, so definitely need to keep this in mind when storing it.  

3 Posts

November 14th, 2013 13:00

I'd check with technical support. Mine seemed fine. I put it in one of the pen slots in my messenger bag. When I got to work, I pulled the pen out and the tip was missing. I found it in the bag and placed it back in the pen. It worked but was very loose. I ended up returning it for a replacement. Now i'm extra careful with the new pen -- they seem a bit fragile.

828 Posts

November 19th, 2013 12:00

That doesn't sound right.   Can you please contact support and ask them to exchange the pen for you and capture the one you have for failure analysis?

8 Posts

November 19th, 2013 19:00

I don't want to be a whiner but I've received a replacement stylus and the tip still comes right out.  I've seen reports elsewhere both ways - some folks saying their tip is firmly affixed in place and others saying they live with the fragility of the tip coming out.  My initial tip loss was when I was pulling the stylus out of the folio elastic strap - the strap apparently grabbed the tip and flipped it out and away a couple feet.  I will say the new tip is more secure in the new stylus but it could still be pulled out with relatively minimal force.  If someone at Dell could check this out and let me know - I'd hate to get into a storm of email exchanges on the stylus while we figure this out.

Thanks

12 Posts

November 20th, 2013 06:00

I have been using the stylus with my Venue Pro 8 for about 2 weeks and have had the same issue.  The stylus point comes out easily and I lost it today while traveling in the UK.  Other issues with the stylus are related to the battery (I am on my third battery and have learned to take the battery out or unscrew the pen so the battery does not make contact with one end to effectively "turn off the stylus").  When using the stylus it is very tricky because the dot on the screen will activate the selection before I touch the screen with the stylus so I have to move the stylus point quickly from point to point or else it will select anything it is hovering over.  I think there is still a lot of "debugging" needed to make this a more functional accessory.

Another issue is related to projecting the screen on the TV or other display.  The Netgear wireless adapter I use for this works but the tablet only lets me "extend" the desktop display to the second screen not "duplicate" it.  When extended you can't use the touch screen to control anything on the extended image as you could if you duplicated it.  I have to use a Bluetooth mouse to get the pointer to move over to the extended screen to select options on that screen.  More little bugs to fix as they keep updating the operating system for this tablet.

828 Posts

November 20th, 2013 20:00

Sounds like something is wrong with the replacement you received - I'd recommend that you contact support to get an exchange.  The tip should not just slide right out without a decent amount of force applied to it...  Apologies for the troubles!

214 Posts

December 25th, 2013 02:00

After waiting 2 wks. for delivery of stylus, I was disappointed to discover same prob. w/ loose tip; unfortunately (for Dell) the Mobility Support team didn't want to bother w/ "capture... failure analysis."

While awaiting a replacement, I'm able to use the pen after reinserting the tip, but it's way-twitchy & over-sensitive; I can't say if that's due to loose tip or firmware still "evolving." For the moment, I'm finding it easier to use cheap, rubber-tipped stylus for most tasks other than drawing. Btw, there are several software/firmware updates already posted for V8 Pro — Stylus driver among them (altho it didn't tame my pen's behavior). 

Dell's support site will auto-detect your Service Tag and driver versions, then offer updates; at least — that's how it's supposed to work... However, the feature is (I'm told) currently incompatible w./ Explorer v.11, so you'll be offered the SAME cumulative list of ~ 10+ downloads, however many X you install them! I'm temptedt 2 c if Firefox &/or Chrome suffer from that same rash; has anybody already tried?

12 Posts

December 25th, 2013 20:00

I too am having problems with the tip coming out. A question for Dell. May I apply a very small amount of glue on the stem? While I await an answer here is how I made the tip stay in much better.

1. Teflon plumbing tape. Its a small role they sell at a hardware store. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape
  2. Tear off about 2 inches. It comes about 1/4 inch wide.
  3. Tear a very thin strip off of it lengthwise. It is stretchy and easy to tear a thin strip. About like a thick thread or .030 of an inch.
  4. Put metal part of the tip barely into the pen
  5. Put one end of the teflon on the barrel and hold it down with your thumb.
  6. Wrap the teflon barber style pole (spiral) on the metal part of the stem 1 1/2 times. Stretch gently as yo do it.
  7. Press the stem in
  8. Do not pull the tape to trim it. It will pull out the tip.
  9. Trim with nail cutters or similar.
  10. A small residual remains that can be seen. Live with it.
  11. I used the stylus for several weeks like this and it held up.
  12. I did pull it out once when I snagged it on the edge of table.
  13. The teflon wrap is improvising but it feels much more secure than before. 
  14. I only use the stylus to hand write text and activate word macrobuttons. It works fine.
  15. Still do not know what the toggle button on the pen does.
  16. Still eats batteries. They last about 2 to 3 weeks even if I unscrew it to turn it off.
  17. Batteries are hard to find. I am buying 50 on line for reasonable price.

Now, can anyone tell me why a Word macrobutton field will not call a macro with a finger tap / fiber stylus but will with the active stylus?  I would love to run my macros without the stylus. I cannot use CommandButtons because I reuse macrobuttons hundreds of times on a single document and Commandbuttons would be a pain. I have posted repeatedly and get nothing from Microsoft or Dell. This table would sell like hotcakes if they could make the macrobutton field work with a finger tap.

I will post a youtube on the teflon wrap

828 Posts

December 26th, 2013 07:00

When did you get the replacement stylus and when was it requested?    Replacement devices should no longer have the potential for a loose tip.   Please let me know - I may want to capture the stylus you have and send you another.

1 Message

January 8th, 2014 20:00

I just discovered that the stylus tip is missing .. just 2 weeks after purchase. Does Dell replace or should I be ordering a new one?

214 Posts

January 8th, 2014 21:00

"Easily" is if you manage to successfully describe "easily" to tech support...

Yes, the tip is removable, and there's a gap between the tip & stylus body that allows the tip to "easily" snag on other objects...

Good Luck!

12 Posts

I bought 2 of them thinking I would lose one (entire pen). They both eat batteries and have loose tips. One finally quit working altogether and I just need to get a request in for an RMA. I run a small very small business and I may just have to factor in buying 5 to 10 of the things if I am to rely on them.

I posted earlier about securing the tip with a Teflon wrap. That one is still hanging in there.

I found one well known battery does not make good contact due to design. I rolled up a ball of foil and dropped it in and it works. Sheesh.

My biggest problem is Microsoft Word macrobuttons will only work with the fancy stylus and NO one can tell me why a finger tap will not work. To my amazement I found Open Office Writer macros work with a finger tap perfectly but for some secret (competition) reason you cannot scroll the screen with a finger. I have been beta testing macros in Open Office and may stop using Microsoft and the fancy stylus. Off to look up the invoice so I can try to determine how to get an RMA. This whole tablet thing has been nothing but improvising. Good for YouTube and Facebook and that's about all.

214 Posts

@ JC — If you're willing to move to India, Dell might do themselves a favor by hiring you!

(I was initially reluctant to reply to a forum member named "JC" who had previously posted on Xmas day...)

12 Posts

January 8th, 2014 22:00

I could work there for a couple of years. My current clientele is about 40 percent Indian and we get along great. I have worked for big companies and small. I have a 159 IQ and a strong sense of creativity regarding finding problems and brain storming solutions.Manufacturing engineering and QC are my skills. If they want hard working 60 year Texan to fill a spot for a while I would love to visit them. My back ground check is pristine. It the deal looks good I have access to a few of Mr. D number 2 guys.

I will Youtube my teflon fix and the foil ball fix as well. Best regards.

No Events found!