Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2011 11:00

Update for Venue to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread)

Would like to know the tentative dates for the update for Dell Venue to Android 2.3. Or even if whether it's in the pipeline for the update.

Any heads up will be appreciated.

User's who want an update for their Venue to to Android 2.3 vote below:

[poll]

26 Posts

September 26th, 2011 15:00

Have given up on DELL and their Android devices.  Sold our DELL Venues and Streaks.  Really did not know how much I was missing until I got my Motorola Atrix.  So sad DELL.  So close, yet epic fail.

1 Message

October 13th, 2011 03:00

atleast please tell us whether there will be any gingerbread update or not for dell venue?

6 Posts

October 13th, 2011 07:00

@Kakagi --- It depends on where you are at, as I posted previously "According to email answer from JackieHforDell as of today, "Unfortunately, at this time there are no plans to upgrade the Venue to Gingerbread in the Americas."  I think that answers that, at least for "the Americas." "  If you are not in "the Americas" then it sounds like you may at least have a shot.  Dell has always been terrible about not doing upgrades in a timely manner --- if they do them at all, which seems to the general rule. 

October 14th, 2011 11:00

Battery backup was very poor and the device was comparatively slow. Please fix it and the OS version doesn't matter. Please fix before the life of the battery expires.

1 Message

October 18th, 2011 10:00

if you can too update 2.3 ineed it!!!

4 Posts

October 18th, 2011 11:00

I have given up and rooted my phone and removed all of the crap and and installed the apps that I use and my phone is running much better. And my battery life is very good.

9 Posts

October 20th, 2011 03:00

Guys, be patient, it's comming... ftp://ftp.dell.com/opensource/venue/

9 Posts

October 20th, 2011 21:00

last update 7.11.2011

3 Posts

October 20th, 2011 21:00

The files were updated in early 2010 right? So I don't have any hope for it. I even posted a classified for my Dell venue cos of no Gingerbread update. If it comes, I'll keep it. If not i'm switching to samsung

3 Posts

October 21st, 2011 06:00

You are talking about the version 4.06 folder. Anyways I am still an android noob. What are these files? Is it used to build the kernel?

4 Posts

October 21st, 2011 06:00

that folder was created on 10/07/2011

So I am hoping maybe by the end of the year we will have an update.

6 Posts

October 21st, 2011 08:00

If you look at the kernel module in the 4.06 folder, you'll see it says Android Froyo, NOT Gingerbread.  As long as the kernel is Froyo, then it's the Android Froyo OS.  It looks like they're trying to incorporate the Gingerbread BlueTooth module into the Froyo kernel to eliminate some of Froyo's inherent Blue Tooth problems.  Dell has already stated very clearly that they have no plans at this time to do a Gingerbread upgrade to the Venue.  I have heard rumors that there is a new lineup of dual core Dell phones fixing to be released in conjunction with Ice Cream Sandwich; if true, as soon as they release the Venue is totally dead in Dell's eyes..  

Historically, Dell is very bad about upgrading existing equipment, especially when new releases are due out.  As far as upgrades go, they may even possibly be worse than Samsung.  Both companies have superb equipment, but horrible customer service.  Their philosophies seem to be if they don't do upgrades you'll be forced to buy new equipment from them.  Fortunately, at least with Samsung phones you can get upgraded operating systems through XDA-Developers, Cyanogenmod and others.  There are some custom ROMs for the Venue on XDA-Developers, but they are still Android 2.2 based.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2011 13:00

about ready to move on to a iphone if dell cant get their act together. I am a regular customer spend thousands of dollars and yet the support is non existent, I also very disappointed with when making a call to support they dont even have American workers and it is very hard to explain ANYTHING to them. bleh. Wish I had spent my $ on macintosh products.

3 Posts

October 28th, 2011 01:00

This is a branded ROM right? Can we use it safely on our unlocked phones?

14 Posts

November 20th, 2011 02:00

now a days mobile of 11000/- range comes with android2.3 os. so we all deserve to get android 2.3 update. saadda haq aethe rakh.

No Events found!