Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2015 12:00

Venue 11 Pro BIOS / Intel Management Engine issues

Hello,

Recently my Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 (vPro) tablet with Windows 8.1 x64 has had issues powering up. It would formerly boot in ~20 seconds, and now it can take a minute or more before displaying anything.

In Windows device manager the "Intel Management Engine Interface" is showing an exclamation mark and says:

"The device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE"

Searching the forums, I attempted to update the IME drivers using various versions. I tried from Dell's website, as well as Intel's. They all fail to install with the same error as above.

Here is the most recent driver Dell support tried:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=PRRRC&fileId=3339487189&osC

When I tried to flash the BIOS from A12 to A13, it gives me no errors, goes along just fine until it decides to reboot. After the reboot it comes up exactly as before having never run the BIOS flash.

I have reached out to Dell support, and they tried to install the same drivers over and over again (about a half dozen times or so) before they told me to just reinstall my OS based on what the forums suggested.

So, what I've asked for from them is a replacement motherboard, because I'm not getting anywhere, however I feel like this is all related to these problems:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19542362?pi239031352=4

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/t/19589473

Can anyone shed some more light on this particular issue? I don't believe a reinstall of the OS will solve this, and my current thoughts are that I'm stuck without being able to flash the BIOS which is why the IME is cranky at me.

I'm not holding out any hopes at this point based on the forums that I am going to get this tablet to be in a good working state and once the dell support tech suggested I ignore the error it lead me to believe that I'll be buying a new tablet 8 months into owning this one.

Thanks.

828 Posts

May 13th, 2015 10:00

Unfortunately, you'll need to return the unit to the depot to have this corrected.   Once a unit gets in this state, it is not possible to update the BIOS via the customer facing tools.   The depot uses a special tool that can overcome and correct this state.   Apologies for the trouble.   Note that the most recent versions of the BIOS have ME fixes from Intel that should prevent this from occurring again.

828 Posts

May 18th, 2015 13:00

Contact support and explain the situation to them.   They should set up a depot return under warranty where the issue will be corrected.   After sending in, this should not occur again in the future.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

April 21st, 2015 10:00

I just started seeing this problem as well.  You are not alone.  Very frustrating.

Just out of curiosity, does the NXP NearFieldProximity Provider also have a yellow exclamation?  I don't think it's causal, but other threads seem to suggest that this is a common side effect when the IME goes belly up.

April 21st, 2015 12:00

I just verified this, no the NXP does not have an exclamation. Currently the only exclamation is on the IME.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

April 21st, 2015 16:00

I'm starting to think this may be a hardware failure.  I've rebooted the device several times, and the behavior changes.

If I COLD boot the tablet after a complete shutdown (command:  shutdown /s /f /t 0 ) then the Intel Management Engine has an exclamation.  As long as I warm boot again thereafter, it continues to have an exclamation *unless* I reboot into the UEFI BIOS, change something (even twiddling something off and right back on), apply, exit, and boot again.  In that case, the Intel Management Engine is MISSING ALTOGETHER, probably because it wasn't enumerated upon boot.  The next time I do a full cold boot, it comes right back.

So, something is very seriously wrong.  I think the STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE error message that the driver is reporting may indeed be legitimate.

May 11th, 2015 17:00

Having just purchased this Dell Venue 11 Pro and running through all the updates, only to find this ( and the fact that the BIOS won't update from A13 to A15, which may be because the Intel Management Interface driver isn't starting)......this is VERY disconcerting.

No one has any other solution other than to send this in for "repair"?

May 11th, 2015 17:00

I wasn't able to resolve this on my own. I got it back from the repair depot with a new motherboard, and it no longer has an exclamation mark and they flashed it to the A14 BIOS which was newer than the one I even had available to download (I was going A12 to A13 and failing).

I believe the only solution is to either replace the motherboard or force flash it to a newer BIOS (aka straight from the BIOS and not in Windows) but I didn't want to go down that road as I had a few days left in warranty.

May 11th, 2015 18:00

Wonderful......and here I just got this unit. Luckily there's still time left in the warranty but man is this disconcerting.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

May 11th, 2015 18:00

When mine started doing this, it also stopped waking from sleep correctly.  I tried EVERYTHING, including resetting the BIOS defaults and wiping the SSD to start over from scratch.

I ended up sending it in for a motherboard replacement as well, but I'm still waiting for it to be returned.  As much as I hate to say it, if you're seeing this problem, you may need to have the motherboard swapped.  Ask Dell if they will send a tech out to do it on site for you.

May 15th, 2015 14:00

Ok.....what exactly is the process to send this out? I would like to have this addressed before the unit goes out of warranty.

May 18th, 2015 18:00

Yup. That's what I did. Waiting for the box to send it to the DEPOT. Will report back when I get the unit back.

Thanks for the responses so far.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

May 19th, 2015 10:00

Have hope.  I got my tablet back a few days ago with a new motherboard, and it has been solid thus far (fingers crossed).  So, there is hope for these devices, provided that you don't end up with a lemon.  As frustrating as it can be, to be fair, Dell is very good about replacing faulty hardware if and when you determine that's the case.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but since we're talking about system stability, the one thing I spotted since getting my device back is that the latest Realtek HD audio driver (A03) is buggy and crashes the OS, so you may want to avoid installing it.  I've since removed ALL versions of that Realtek driver and allowed Windows to use the built-in generic Microsoft HD audio driver, which seems to work perfectly fine.

Here's the crash dump analysis from WinDbg:

Windows 8 Kernel Version 9600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 9600.17736.amd64fre.winblue_r9.150322-1500
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff801`f5201000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff801`f54da850
Debug session time: Sat May 16 08:30:46.432 2015 (UTC - 7:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:58.249
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
PEB is paged out (Peb.Ldr = 00007ff5`ffff9018).  Type ".hh dbgerr001" for details
Loading unloaded module list
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck A0, {1, 6, ffffe0009b3a4e40, 1}

*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for RTKVHD64.sys
Probably caused by : RTKVHD64.sys ( RTKVHD64+4d67 )

6 Posts

May 27th, 2015 13:00

The depot uses a special tool that can overcome and correct this state. 

So why can't we get this tool?  Instead Dell makes us pay to fix their goof up.

Or us more techno/mechanical people can disassemble our unit and remove the CMOS battery as posted here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19543650

Verified that this does work.

6 Posts

February 2nd, 2016 10:00

I had the EXACT issue with my Venue 11 Pro 7130 vPro unit.  I purchased it brand new in January 2014 and my warranty is long expired.  The weird thing is it was already running BIOS A16 when the Intel ME went belly up.  I followed the instructions to disassemble the back and reset the CMOS battery, then I forced a BIOS update from flash update utility (needed to use the option /forceit /forcetype to get it to update since it was already running A16).  Confirmed this cleared up the ME problem and the tablet boots quickly and sleeps/wakes properly again.  What a royal pain.  I'll be staying away from these tablets now.

No Events found!