Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2014 15:00

Venue 11 Pro - How to access BIOS and then change boot options?

I've read a few suggestions for accessing the bios, such as hitting volume up, volume down, or f12 just after powering on or just after the Dell logo appears.  None of these have any effect on my system, which just boots normally.  How do you access the BIOS?

My 7130 came with the BIOS A05 version.  

I'd like to access the BIOS so that I can boot from a USB, so any further help in this direction would be appreciated.

11 Posts

January 14th, 2014 15:00

I saw this question in another thread in the first few pages of this forum, (I've been reading a lot of posts because I have one of these on the way), anyway, I can't remember the details but try a few searches and it may pop up.  I think the person was asking because they wanted to change the BIOS settings so they could boot off a usb stick or something like that.  That might help you find search words that work.

11 Posts

January 14th, 2014 17:00

Repeatedly pressing the volume up button (the one on the side of the tablet, not the keyboard key that doubles as f3!) does get you into BIOS.  From there, you can disable secure boot, reboot again to BIOS, and then select to boot from USB, which works.  However, I couldn't use the legacy boot to successfully get into Windows 8.  It tells me "Invalid Partition table", and I have to turn the power off.  Another boot option (I forget what it's called) results in bitlocker asking for a key which I don't have.  This is not a big deal tho, as you can just reanable secure boot and it gets you into windows without a problem.

1 Message

April 11th, 2014 05:00

Thank you so much! I just got a few of these in and was initially using F2/F12 but for some reason both of those keys had stopped working. Volume up works great.

10 Posts

May 31st, 2015 10:00

Interesting thread, as I have (2) Venue 11 pro tablets and Both enter Bios by holding Volume Down after powering on.

Holding Volume up goes directly to ePSA testing.

My 7130 is a Bitlocker Brick and I cannot find a way to ADD USB to the Boot choices. It is not shown in the list. (USB is Working with keyboard)

1 Message

July 2nd, 2015 16:00

Interesting thread, as I have (2) Venue 11 pro tablets and Both enter Bios by holding Volume Down after powering on.

WHEN you press the button seems to make a difference. 

Holding Volume up goes directly to ePSA testing.

Holding it up goes to the diagnostics, but tapping it repeatedly seems to pull up the boot device menu. 

10 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 14:00

Agreed,

When and how you use the buttons does make a difference.

Bumping can bring up the Boot from to allow system repair or installation from the USB, etc.

828 Posts

July 6th, 2015 14:00

The proper method is to press and hold the power button.   As soon as you feel the haptic feedback, release the power button and press and hold volume up.   Hold this until you see text in the top right about boot menu.    The boot menu will be displayed and allows you to access BIOS, run diagnostics, etc.

No Events found!