Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2014 10:00

Venue 11 Pro Will not complete MDT boot via USB

I can boot with the USB key that contains Windows 8.1 standalone media files created in MDT. It boots fine and acts like it's going to bring up the MDT window to choose the imaging option, but then it just reboots and goes back into the installed Windows. It never completes the process to the point of letting me choose to image and then to choose the task sequence to run.  I can use the same USB key on a laptop and it works fine. Any help would be appretiated.  

9 Posts

February 12th, 2014 19:00

I'm looking into this myself. It has something very much to do with the UEFI Bios, which most laptops and desktops have Legacy instead. I have tried to call Dell about this, and my last phonecall lasted 1.5 hours, was transferred to 8 different people, each who asked me my name, phone #, email addy, etc...and I finally got an email stating:

I am a Technical Solution Consultant / Sky Tech for the DELL Resolution Expert Center / Executive Escalations in Round Rock, Texas. 

I received your case this morning regarding your request for assistance to build a USB boot key for the Venue 11 Pro, we do not have anything to offer other than the Windows 8.1 recovery key, the Venue 11 Pro requires a 32 bit UEFI boot, windows 7 and for now even linux will not work because they are 64 bit UEFI only.

To install these other operating systems you would have to have legacy boot options in the BIOS which the Venue 11 Pro does not. 

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this information or if you would like a windows 8.1 restore key and I will try and respond as quickly as possible.

9 Posts

February 13th, 2014 00:00

I got my deployment to work. What machine ws this for...the Venue 11 Pro? Are you trying to boot up to capture an image or

deploy one? Let me know, because after MUCH trial and error, mine is working, despite Dell saying it is not possible.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2014 06:00

I am having an issue as well with the Dell Venue. I have created both USB and an Bootable SD card, which both work fine on my laptop. We are using a Startech.com USB to Ethernet adaptor and I have injected the drivers into MDT for this to work. It fails. I have also mapped a drive back to my MDT server and run litetouch.vbs. It fails with 14 errors. Ideas?

9 Posts

February 17th, 2014 21:00

Are you trying to do a capture? If so, that is just done from the desktop of the machine. Are you using a VM instead? That too is done from the VM desktop.

Do a start/run and point to your server: \mdtserver\deployment share\scripts\litetouch.vbs

If you need help making a bootable USB from a physical machine, let me know. I can walk you throught that.

9 Posts

February 20th, 2014 19:00

So you are not using a Dell Venue dock? I'm not sure what adapter you're using to get a network connection. What are the 14 errors referring to?

828 Posts

February 21st, 2014 00:00

The 5130 only supports UEFI - no legacy.   Have you reviewed the imaging guide for help?

9 Posts

February 21st, 2014 00:00

I'm just confued as to what you're actually trying to do and what errors you're getting.
I have a Venue Pro 11 7130 that I boot to MDT via USB and my deployment works fine.
What exactly!! are the issues you are having?

4 Posts

February 21st, 2014 07:00

we got it to work. Ended up using a powered USB hub with the boot USB thumb driver and the USB2Ethernet adaptor.

June 14th, 2014 01:00

Hello, are there any adapters available to pxe-boot this venue 11 pro?

9 Posts

June 14th, 2014 04:00

Are you referring to booting up without a dock...booting to PXE directly with a LAN line?

June 14th, 2014 05:00

Directly... i have bought this one online (it`s now shipping). Should this converter work with the venue pro 11 for PXE-booting ? http://www.antratek.nl/usb-ethernet-ax88772b

9 Posts

June 14th, 2014 05:00

I'd imagine so. The only one I've ever used is TrendNet. Just remember to add NIC drivers so the system can boot back into your server and complete its processes.

No Events found!