Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2014 06:00

Venue 11 onscreen keyboard not appearing on logon screen when devise is docked

When you tap the password box if the device is undocked it launches the onscreen keyboard.  If you dock the device it no longer launches it is the same in the search box on the metro screen.

If the device is connected to the folio keyboard the onscreen keyboard still pops up when you tap the password box

This is not the same as the bios keyboard that launches if the device is encrypted (that problem was fixed with the A11 bios)

On a couple of devices the keyboard appears the first couple of times but then ceases to.    On one device it randomly started working again for a couple of times then stopped.

I have tried with the OEM software pre-installed by dell with the A06 bios, A11 and A12 bios, and with a build image from a wds server using Microsoft select version of Windows 8.1

I have 2 batches of the devise have tested 9 from the first batch purchased in Dec 2013 and one from a batch received a couple of weeks ago.

The problem occurs on both A00 dock and A01 dock.

When I got the first batch there were drives available for Windows 8 so at the time I created a Windows 8 image the keyboard on this image works on the logon screen and the metro screen on any Dock.

I have a support call with Dell who have even tried replacing a mother board on one of the first batch but so far no clues as to how to fix the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a solution?

828 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 11:00

A12 BIOS was expected to resolve this.   Are you tapping in the password entry box and the keyboard still won't pop up?   Can you confirm you are indeed at A12??

5 Posts

July 4th, 2014 02:00

Thanks Brian,  I have tried that on one of the 1st batch no change will try it on the one from the second batch.  When I put newest one on the dock this morning which has bios A11 the keyboard popped up twice after a reboot but after the third restart it stopped working again.

5 Posts

July 4th, 2014 03:00

I have just installed the A12  Bios update - still no on screen keyboard when I tap the password box

5 Posts

July 4th, 2014 04:00

I have also tried it on the pre-installed dell build ie unboxed it set it up and ran the A12 bios update still no onscreen keyboard on logon screen when docked

No Events found!