Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2013 05:00

Venue 8 Android Screen Surface and Sensitivity

I was wondering if anyone knows what material the Venue 8 Android screen surface is made of.  Is it glass or plastic?  I only want to know how hard the screen surface is so I know how well it needs to be protected from scratching or gouging.  While glass may be more fragile in terms of shattering if dropped, it is pretty well protected from basic scratches in use.  I had a plastic faced tablet before and its surface was more vulnerable to scratches than the glass one I also have.

Secondly, while my Venue 8 has not become touch "frozen" as many have complained, I find it less sensitive t both my fingers and styli compared to my glass surfaced tablet.  I often have to tab things more than once, especially if the area is near a corner or edge near the bezel.   Has anyone noticed this?  It would be nice if the touch sensitivity could be adjusted either overall, or edges versus middle.

13 Posts

December 21st, 2013 23:00

Try enabling the "pointer location", and "show touches" in the input settings under developer options. See if the points are actually being touch correctly. 

24 Posts

December 22nd, 2013 01:00

Thanks for responding and suggesting this. 

For people who are unaware (as I was), Android version 4.2 doesn't show developer options on the settings page until  you do the following:

• Open the Settings menu
  • Go down to the "System" sub-section of the settings menu (the last subsection) on the left side
  • Hit "About Tablet" (the last menu item on the left side in that section)
  • Find the entry for the "Build number" header on the right side (third from last entry)
  • Tap this area about 6 times, and the Developer Options menu should appear. As you tap it a notice will come up at the bottom of the tablet telling you how many more times you need to tap to "become a developer".

Developer Options shows up just above "About Tablet" toward the end of the menu list once you tap "Build number" enough times.

It seems once you have done so, the Developer options remain on the menu until you do a complete reset of the tablet.

I have checked the tablet using this.  It appears the tablet is a five touch system.  The touch locations appear to pretty accurate.  However, I am still experiencing the non-responses randomly.  My sense is that something is getting in the way of the response, like the tablet is "busy" ding something behind the scenes.  It could be that certain apps are just now written well and are slow to return control to the screen.  I am definitely not getting the freezing that others are describing, however.

No Events found!