Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 13th, 2014 13:00

Venue 8 Pro - Internet Exporer opens and then closes immediately

I just received a "refurbished" Venue 8 Pro (64 GB) with Win 8.1 preinstalled. I have started by doing all the Windows updates and updated the BIOS to A05. I then continued to add other applications that I run on my desktop machine. Finally, I got the tablet to where I wanted it to be and tried opening Internet Explorer. A box opens on the screen and then immediately closes. I went into the Control Panel, opened up Internet Options, went to the advanced tab, and reset explorer. This didn't work. Any ideas? I am a complete Windows 8 tablet novice and only have the software keyboard.

April 13th, 2014 15:00

Do you have it set as default browser? Any other browsers installed?

22 Posts

April 13th, 2014 21:00

No, the only browser on the tablet is IE 11.

22 Posts

April 14th, 2014 00:00

I've done some further testing ... IE is not the only application that opens and closes immediately. I tried several of the "modern" apps and Mail opens and then closes Windows Store opens and then closes Calendar opens and then closes Red Stripe Deals (what the heck is that) opens and then closes People opens and then closes Maps opens and then closes Skype opens and then closes Weather opens and then closes However, Photos does open as does the Camera app. One Drive seemed to open, but the page was blank, short a couple of icons.

22 Posts

April 14th, 2014 01:00

Continuing ... I have now attempted to "Refresh" or reinstall the OS using the MS utility ... Settings ... Change PC Settings ... Update and Recovery ...Recovery ... Refresh your PC without affecting your files ... or ... Remove everything and reinstall Windows. Neither option works. I get an error message that the Refresh cannot be done and that the Remove and reinstall has run into problems and cannot continue.

22 Posts

April 14th, 2014 01:00

Further ... I have now tried a System Restore. I get this error "A Volume Shadow Copy Service Component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information. I do not know how to check the application event log. I think I am in deep doodoo.
No Events found!