Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2014 05:00

Venue 8 Pro - Turn screen off without sleeping.

Hi,

I've just got my Venue 8 and I cannot seem to find a way to stop the device from going to sleep when the screen is off.

I have services running in the background that I want to continue to run when the screen goes off, but they seem to stop, the most noticeable being the network connection.

As a workaround, I'm using a blank screen saver, but this does not turn the screen off.

Please tell me there is a way to turn the screen off without the system going to sleep? Otherwise i'll have to return the device.

Thanks,

Liam

915 Posts

March 12th, 2014 00:00

I'd love to see a solution to this as well (and/or have Dell develop a small utility that could be clicked to turn the screen off alone--one would think that this would be easy enough to do (famous last words)).  

Similar inquiry was made earlier at the Dell forum at tabletpcreview.com and various otherwise successful utilities tried, but they all put the Dell Venue 8 Pro to sleep.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/60398-possible-turn-off-display-without-putting-tablet-sleep.html

Especially with a tablet and operation by battery power, the need for a utility like this, to save battery charge, would be, one would think, a no-brainer.

1 Message

June 4th, 2014 16:00

I agree. My iPad will play music even though it is turned off. It has for years. My W8 phone does this, too.

Not so the Dell Venue 8. Even if the advanced power settings say turn off the screen after a few minutes, the screen does not turn off. The only option is to put the tablet to sleep but then the music turns off. I listen to music all day at work and the screen is on all day, even though the device is otherwise idle.

This is a big miss. At 8 inches, the Venue 8 makes an inadequate computer. Without the ability to turn off the screen while listening to music (or watching a movie on an external monitor) makes it an inadequate personal device.

Dell - please add the ability to turn off the device and still listen to music.

December 19th, 2014 17:00

Same problem here.  It's driving me nuts.  I'd like to turn off the display to conserve power, but still be able to receive Skype calls...

915 Posts

December 19th, 2014 19:00

After all this time, I'm not aware that either Dell or Microsoft has developed a solution or workaround for this issue, or that anyone else has.    :emotion-6:

It's not just me, is it, in thinking that the need for a solution here is pretty obvious?  Tablet--limited battery power--need to conserve energy--utility to turn screen off while tablet still is functioning . . . .

August 21st, 2016 09:00

working 100% for me(dell venue 8 pro 5830-windows 8.1)

1) Disable Connected Standby:
Open regedit.exe, go to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ and set the value CsEnabled from 1 to 0 & Restart tab(apply this after tab hibernate by power button)

2) download & run "Turn Off LCD" app as administrator(also you can turn off lcd automatically by power plan-set turn off display as 1 minute or more time)

*to wake up display - simply touch to display

915 Posts

August 21st, 2016 12:00

Thanks--I guess the holy grail here is being able to turn the screen off while still having Connected Standby capability. 

I still don't see why this capability has not been baked into the DV8P--to conserve valuable battery power while listening to music, downloading/torrenting, projecting the screen to one's television, etc.  I actually had that ability recently, when I had a malfunction and the screen went off but a movie still played and was bein projected to my television--ideal!   :emotion-1: 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 15th, 2017 09:00

I love this person !

This works as well once youve done the regedit mod.

www.thewindowsclub.com/screenoff-turn-off-windows-laptop-screen

No Events found!