Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2014 20:00

Venue 8 Pro USB device not recognized

Hello, I am not able to use any devices with a usb otg cable.

I have connected before, but am unable to now.  Since the issue appearing, I have been able to connect once, after turning the tablet off for a while then turning it on again. 

Since that one time, I have been unable to reproduce the solution.

157 Posts

March 17th, 2014 20:00

Hi. Have you ever had any issues with the stock power cable, like trying to plug it and not having it go? Is the power cable (not the OTG adapter) working properly now?

6 Posts

March 19th, 2014 09:00

Hi there, I bought the unit used without a stock power cable, could this be causing the issue?

Yes it works about 90% of the time, but I have had to reseat the micro usb a few times, but I attribute that to dell's choice of a micro usb type a connector.

I've been using a note 3 charger (2 amp) with a 2.0 cable for the meantime.

As an update to the issue itself, I was able to connect usb otg yesterday by going to the settings>recovery>advanced startup> then into the bios. I changed three settings based on research into the error that I had done.

1. Chipset>south>usb>XHCI mode (disable)

2. Chipset>south>usb>EHCI usb 2.0 (enable)

3. Advanced>usb>EHCI usb2.0 (enable)

(This was all done while unplugged from the charger. )

I was able to connect to my usb printer and print some documents easily. This morning, I cannot connect again, same error. Maybe the charger has something to do with the error?

I have since reset the bios settings to default settings, then restarted (tested otg just to be sure, not working)

Then I booted back into the bios and set the same three settings, and tested otg... not working. again.

157 Posts

March 19th, 2014 10:00

Hi. The USB governing association requires that an OTG installation have a single micro or mini AB port, so Dell really didn't have a choice if they wanted use that type of chipset and meet that standard. It's regrettable that so many folks ARE having problems with this. My first suggestion would be to put on your reading specs or get a magnifying glass and closely inspect the port. Folks have damaged them by trying to insert the power cord upside down and then applying force. Other folks have said here that they've straightened the pins or teeth in them with a toothpick or safety pin.  Anyway, that intermittent operation would have me looking at mechanical items first.

There's nothing magical about the power cable. If the cable from your Note makes the white charge light on then you're fine.

Please look at Device Manager when you have the error and see if anything under USB is showing the information exclamation point. That could be the basis for troubleshooting.

I'm also beginning to suspect that all OTG cables are not created equal. Oddly, I think that most of the cheap, bulky ones are preferable to the thin, fancy ones.

157 Posts

March 19th, 2014 11:00

Well, working correctly within the BIOS is mysterious, but if the problem is intermittent it may just be not happening to happen during the short times you're within the BIOS. I think I'd try another OTG cable next.

I'm not aware (from having haunted these forums) of any chipset driver inadequacy regarding the USB system, but I also don't think that disabling and re-enabling hardware in the BIOS has a similar effect to when Windows running and using Device Manager.  

6 Posts

March 19th, 2014 11:00

I looked with a flashlight, and it looks all straight with the pins.

To add some information, the usb keyboard and mouse ALWAYS works flawlessly in the bios with the otg cable installed.

Is there any information i could give to help find the solution?  Remember, was able to connect with these UEFI bios settings.

157 Posts

March 19th, 2014 12:00

And looking at Wikipedia, it says that xHCI is also known as the USB 3.0 specification.  I've read from folks that have looked at the motherboard that there is a USB 3.x chipset present, but the device does not support it. (It's a safe bet that the NEXT version of the V8P will.)

6 Posts

March 19th, 2014 14:00

Found this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/26/why-does-my-usb-device-work-on-windows-8-0-but-fail-on-windows-8-1-with-code-43.aspx

157 Posts

March 19th, 2014 15:00

Good find!

6 Posts

March 20th, 2014 10:00

I have a feeling the issue may be with the otg adapter... we'll see I ordered a new different one.

6 Posts

March 20th, 2014 17:00

Ok, confirmed. It was the otg cable!

Working fine now. Thanks St. Lamar.

2 Posts

January 4th, 2020 09:00

I'm having the same problem of my Dell venue 8 pro not recognizing my USB otg connection

No Events found!