Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

11 Posts

July 29th, 2019 06:00

Venue 8 - clean install of Windows 10 [solved]

It seems that a "cumulative update" for W10 left my tablet in an unusable state (no input box for password or PIN).  After much trial and error, I've just succeeded in a clean install of Windows 10.  This is how I did it.

• Don't turn off Secure Boot.  The C: drive is encrypted (bitlocker) this way, and I understand (dimly!) that Windows 10 needs Secure Boot on at the time of installation.  (Comments welcome)
  • You need:
    • A USB memory stick with 32-bit installation media, usually via the Media Creation Tool
    • A "4 port OTG adapter hub".  This gives three standard USB ports, for memory stick, mouse, keyboard (plus power, which never seems to pass through) terminating in a single micro-USB plug for the tablet.
    • A completely full battery

Now enter Setup:

1. Connect the adapter, USB stick, mouse & keyboard while powered-down.
  2. From cold, power up the tablet, and immediately press the Volume-Up button repeatedly until the Setup screen appears.
  3. On the Boot tab, I saw my USB stick offered as an option in the boot priority list.  Tap the first item in the list to change it to the USB stick.  Boot Manager drops to second place.
  4. On the Exit tab, pick the option to save changes and exit.

As it restarts, you should see the USB stick LED (if it has one) flickering as files are loaded.  Use the mouse and keyboard to navigate through the stages.

• When you get to the choice of install location, you won't be able to "repair" or install over the C: drive due to the encryption.  I chose (fingers crossed) to delete this partition entirely, and also following Recovery partitions.  (I think I needed to restart and retrace as above to proceed.  I did, anyway.).
  • I chose to pick the "Unallocated Space" as the destination, assuming (apparently correctly) that the installer would format as needed.

It chugged through all the stages, and after creating a basic account I now have W10 (1903) running on the tab.  It's a very basic install - no touchscreen yet, nor wifi - will need to load the drivers from Dell.  So far, so good, though.  (I've have been just as happy if the original update - which was shown as some sort of extra option - had worked correctly, nevertheless.)

Worth noting that another contributor to these pages recommended instead holding the power button to force shutdown while the "juggling balls" are displayed.  Do this three times, and (he says) the repair options appear, including the option to use a command window, and maybe reset Windows.  That might be a better option if you can get it to work (I had tried, but I'd lost patience and was massacring partitions by the time I read his comment).  But if you can get it to work, you may then be able to access the (encrypted) C: drive with Secure Boot still in effect.  In my case, running the SC command may have been enough to configure the Credentials Manager service to Automatic (plausible solution to my original problem), and save me all the trouble above.  Try that first!

Hope that's useful.

1 Message

April 5th, 2021 15:00

Dear PhilHerlihy

Almost 2 years later, the same issue. Win10 has file corruption, causing the BSoD. I needed to reinstall Windows 10 Home 32bit. Looked everywhere for solution. Google led me here.

Worked like a charm. Used Dell MicroUSB data/charger dongle (powers the tablet while installing, hard to find it now but there seem cheap alternatives), 4GB flash drive, 4 port USB hub, wireless keyboard/mouse combo and a lot of patience.

Pressed volume up right after turning on, chose the flash drive as a boot drive and rebooted while the drive is inserted.

Took a long time to install. I almost quit before seeing the familiar Win10 installation dialog. As pointed out, the touch screen does not work so you need mouse and keyboard connected. Deleted all existing partitions (back up before doing this) and unallocated space as a target.

This thing is working great now, no BSoD.

I can't thank you enough.

11 Posts

April 6th, 2021 01:00

Great - that's brightened my morning!  As you'll have found, all the necessary drivers work fine, and Windows 10 gives this little tablet a new lease of life for some years to come.  Of course it's not a very brisk machine by today's standards, but it's entirely useable, and it's compact enough to have with you when you'd leave a bigger one behind.

No Events found!