Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2015 09:00

Venue 8 will not remember wifi passwords

My wife's Venue 8 never remember wifi passwords.  When we go to church, she has to enter the password there every week.  When we come back home, it requires the home password.  Sometimes when it's been asleep for a long time and hasn't left the house, it requires the password to be entered too.  Any idea how to solve?

Venue 8 model 3830 running Android 4.4.2

Thanks, Dave

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 7th, 2015 17:00

Are you running some app in the background that deletes cache, cookies, passwords, etc?

3 Posts

August 11th, 2015 16:00

Not that we know of.  It also forgets passwords when it runs out of battery or gets turned off.  We also tried the WPS button on the router...but next time the tablet got turned off...that went away too.  Any other ideas?  Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 12th, 2015 12:00

Not sure, since I have a 3840.

Check the Settings screens to see if there's an option to remember passwords.

I suppose there's probably a motherboard battery that holds settings,and presumably passwords, when it's off and that may have died. Tend to doubt it's user replaceable. You may need to contact Dell Tech Support, especially if it's still under warranty.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 12th, 2015 22:00

toblave,

In addition to what Ron posted...

I would delete the problem networks, then restart the tablet.

Now try and connect to your network and see if there is something that says remember the password.

Rick

30 Posts

August 12th, 2015 23:00

Sometimes when it's been asleep for a long time and hasn't left the house, it requires the password to be entered too.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 18th, 2015 11:00

Could some of the problems be on the WiFi router side? Ie, is your router requiring you to log in again, after a certain period of inactivity?

Or have you set WiFi on the Venue to turn off when the tablet goes to sleep (a battery saving feature)? That might require you to log in again when you wake it up because the router may see it as a "new" device.

3 Posts

August 30th, 2015 12:00

Thanks for the suggestions...none of them fixed the problem though.  I did a backup and reset a few days ago and today we didn't have to enter the password at church or at home thereafter.  it seems like the problem is gone.  Sounds to me like an OS update maybe bugged the wifi passwords and it needed to be loaded from scratch.  Thanks again.  Dave

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 30th, 2015 19:00

1 Message

October 5th, 2015 09:00

I am having the same issue with my Dell Venue 8, has been happening for about a year. And it loses the WiFi passwords on multiple WiFi spots. My wife's Asus never has this issue, granted I run many more apps.  I have not tried a full reset at this point. Sometimes it will remember the password, but most times NO.

March 27th, 2016 21:00

I have this problem with my Dell Venue 7 (and not with my Toshiba Excite, which is in the same room). It was simple to fix my 7 after I poked, tapped, and prodded enough things and said enough bad words. AFTER you sign in again to the Wi-Fi in the settings menu, tap and HOLD the signal bar icon () for the network you just signed in to. Hold it UNTIL a menu with 3 options pops up. The choices are to forget, modify, or disconnect the network (if you get a pop up with details of signal strength, status, etc, with the options cancel, disconnect, and forget at the bottom, you didn't hold icon down long enough - try it again) . Tap "modify network," then type your password again in the blank. Hit save at the bottom. Voila! Mine hasn't made me retype Wi-Fi passwords since I did that (so far ). I'm pretty sure the Venue 8 will work the same way. I hope this helps!

1 Message

September 14th, 2017 09:00

Genius! I was having the same issue as well. This worked - thank you!

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 16:00

I hope this one works for me too.  I performed the "long hold" / modify choice many times, but never guessed retyping the password after having just typed it would do anything special.  Looking forward to saving all my favorite networks.

2 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 16:00

I have this problem too.  I had hoped the answer suggesting "save" would help, but the minute I restarted it, it forgot the password.  This is really painful, as I use this as my reading device when I travel, including visits to family members.  It gets annoying to need to ask relatives for the WiFi password every time I visit.

No Events found!