Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2013 20:00

Venue pro 11 dock Displayport to DVI

I want two monitors and have a HDMI monitor connected and working. I tried to connect the second monitor through a Displayport to DVI cable and get no signal. The system seems to recognize that a generic monitor is connected. Should this work? Is there something that needs to be configured?

17 Posts

April 17th, 2014 04:00

My testing turned out slightly differently to what I expected.

First it is an atom device which only supports 1 external monitor. Only the i processors support 2.

Nothing works when connected to the Display port. The dock is PB2 (this is a demo unit)

We tried DP to DVI and DP to HDMI with 3 different monitors (Dell, Samsung and Dell) and nothing at all.

HDMI to HDMI on all of the monitors - perfect. First time every time.

I checked for updated drivers on the Dell support site but there was nothing for graphics drivers. I will try and arrange further time with the device for testing of the download link provided

13 Posts

April 19th, 2014 22:00

We found a monitor internally that doesn't seem to work consistently as well (Dell U2312H).   This one does seem to work if we go to the much older video driver. (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-venue-11i-pro?driverId=PM0V7&fileId=3341758704&osCode=WB64A)

Can you guys who are seeing problems with DP try this and let me know your results by monitor model and driver version?   

I'll get the details pushed to engineering to get this resolved - probably just need some more video driver tweaks for certain monitors.

This fixed my issue!

So it was a driver problem all along and not a hardware problem. That is excellent. I now have 2 monitors connected via the dock. One to the display port and one to the HDMI port and the display is beautiful and perfect. 

The monitor connected to the Display Port is a Dell 2412M.

Thanks!

92 Posts

April 20th, 2014 22:00

We found a monitor internally that doesn't seem to work consistently as well (Dell U2312H).   This one does seem to work if we go to the much older video driver. (http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-venue-11i-pro?driverId=PM0V7&fileId=3341758704&osCode=WB64A)

Can you guys who are seeing problems with DP try this and let me know your results by monitor model and driver version?   

I'll get the details pushed to engineering to get this resolved - probably just need some more video driver tweaks for certain monitors.

Brain,

I have a new Dell P2314H connected with DP to DP cable that the monitor came with. The newer 3412 driver the monitor would take about 12 seconds to display after the Venue displayed the desktop from sleep or from power on. With the older 3316 driver I do not see this problem.

Please advise the engineers working on a newer driver to test this please.

Thanks,

April 21st, 2014 07:00

Rolling back to the older driver didn't make anything different with my test.  I am using a DP to DVI cable on a Dell 1905FP monitor.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2014 16:00

ok just wanted to chime in as I just bought this setup.

I got the 7130 I think with I5 processor

First monitor going HDMI to DVI adapter, working fine and always has.

Second monitor going DP to DVI adapter, never worked, always detected but nothing.  Switched to DP to VGA and now I see the monitor but its picture is 1/2 inch lower and goes dark in and out and flickers all the time.  I have updated the driver from the download page on dell and still nothing.  My dock is the A01 revision.  I really don't want to go back drivers as the latest should work.  My monitor is a ACER G246HL.

Any info much appreciated!!!

17 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 06:00

Hi

sorry to hear about the issues recurring. Just to confirm - this is the monitor on the DisplayPort. What connector is on the other side of the DP adapter?

13 Posts

UGH!!

The Dell 2412M monitor worked fine for 3 days: Saturday night, Sunday, & Monday. Now, this morning, the screen is black again. 

I reinstalled the driver again. Still nothing.

These stupid issues that Dell can't get right and decides to so rarely weigh in on is ridiculous!

10 Posts

Hi

sorry to hear about the issues recurring. Just to confirm - this is the monitor on the DisplayPort. What connector is on the other side of the DP adapter?

The HDMI - DVI adapter works just fine for me.

The DP - DVI never worked

The DP - VGA works but flickering and shows up 1/2 inch lower on screen

13 Posts

Hi

I'm just trying to get DP --> DP working.

My monitor is the Dell 2412M. It doesn't even have HDMI. So I'm going out with the DP on the dock and into the DP on the monitor.

I've tried in the past going to other monitor DP ports, too, and all they do is flicker a little bit. One monitor in particular that I tried was the Dell 30" Ultrasharp display. It failed, too. You would think that Dell would at least verify that all of their own monitors work with their drivers for crying out loud!!!!!

I also have a viewsonic VP201S. I have an HDMI adapter connected to a DVI to RGB cable and it works great from both of the HDMI ports (the one on the dock and the one on the tablet).

17 Posts

[quote user="SeanBezuids"]

Hi

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. It seems like almost all of us are having DP to DVI issues with different versions of the dock. In some cases the driver update / downgrade has helped.

Can you please let us know what version of the dock you have.

When the VGA monitor is connected, are there any options within the Intel display software which affect the output? I am thinking there may be scaling turned on or perhaps a sync setting which may help.

Thanks

10 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 07:00

[quote user="chuckbinder"]

Hi

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. It seems like almost all of us are having DP to DVI issues with different versions of the dock. In some cases the driver update / downgrade has helped.

When the VGA monitor is connected, are there any options within the Intel display software which affect the output? I am thinking there may be scaling turned on or perhaps a sync setting which may help.

Thanks

[/quote]

I have the A01 revision of the dock, checked that last night.

I do have MAINTAIN SCALING option for the DP-VGA adapter monitor turned on thru Intel graphics options.  Should I turn that off?  Where would the sync option be located?

13 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 07:00

Hi

[/quote]

Thanks

[/quote]

So it isn't just DP - DVI that fails. It is also DP - DP.

I have the A01 version of the dock. Dell has shipped me 2 of them. They both suffered the same problem.

April 22nd, 2014 10:00

HDMI - DVI works fine for me but DP - DVI will generate a message that there was a change to the displayport topology but will never show up as an option to choose from. Both monitors are Dell E2209W.

828 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 21:00

A few monitors still appear to have sync issues with the 3412 video driver and the A01 docks.  We're working with Intel on a new driver to resolve these issues.  I'll share more here once we have a release.    In the meantime, you might try going back to the A00 driver (pre 3412).  This resolved for a U2312HM.

17 Posts

April 23rd, 2014 03:00

Hi

[/quote]

Thanks

[/quote]

I have the A01 revision of the dock, checked that last night.

I do have MAINTAIN SCALING option for the DP-VGA adapter monitor turned on thru Intel graphics options.  Should I turn that off?  Where would the sync option be located?

[/quote]

Hi Chuck

Yes please try turning off the maintain scaling and see what changes. I don't have one myself to test one but I do seem to remember that option when testing recently.

To the other replies - thank you for the information. It does seem that DP to DP or any other connection is a problem currently. HDMI to various connectors (DVI-VGA  - fantastic!!) is working fine.

Also please remember the Atom processor will only output to a single monitor. You need an icore processor to do 2 external monitors.

As for the driver versions - I am unable to comment at the moment. It does seem like there are different versions which have different degrees of success.

Calls logged with Dell - please can you guys send me the list of calls logged so far so I can keep a record. The more calls regarding this problem I have the more I have to work with.

No Events found!