Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

December 26th, 2012 23:00

XPS 10 WiFi connection issues

Received my XPS 10 tablet a week ago. Wonder if anybody else is also having this persistent and intermittent WiFi connection problem:

The connect freezes and drops during usage. Windows RT may say I have 'Limited' connectivity to my access point, but I cannot access the Internet at all. At the same time, and in the same room, none of my other wireless devices (Android tablets, netbook, and laptop) are having any problem.

It takes a manual disconnect and re-connect to recover, sometimes it requires restarting the device. Then it starts all over again.

Thank you all for your help.

~louis tong (Round Rock, TX)

3 Posts

December 27th, 2012 08:00

The 1st thing i would do is try it out on different wireless networks like at buddies or a cafe or something. If you don't have the problems on other wireless networks i would try logging into my wireless box and switching the Wireless channel. If you don't have time to take it somewhere just try changing the wireless channel and see if it gets better.

828 Posts

January 4th, 2013 15:00

What type of router or AP are you using?     Have you checked for Windows Updates (Swipe in from right, Settings, Change PC Settings, Windows Update, Check for Updates Now).    Check for updates first, install any that are available and reboot.   See if this helps.   If not, please share your router or AP information.   Thanks.

17 Posts

February 7th, 2013 12:00

Hi all,

Thank you all for the support. I ended up switching to a more current and up-to-date wireless router (because the landlord forced us to change ISP) with all kinds of fancy-schmancy features (Linksys EA4500), and the problem went away. My old wireless AP was an 8-year-old Viewsonic AP (802.11g) connected to a network switch.

828 Posts

February 7th, 2013 12:00

That is good news.   I've found that even with newer routers, Win 8 RT sometimes has trouble connecting until you update to the latest firmware (on the router iteself).

July 6th, 2013 07:00

I wonder if you guys can help.  I've recently (last week) got an XPS 10 and am already having problems with the Wifi.  First, it says connection to my home network is limited, then sometimes it doesn't find that network at all and other neighbouring networks come up with a very weak signal, and other times only the home network shows up, again with a very weak signal.  I have updated as much as I could, tried re-starting to resolve the issue, but it is persisting.  This is really annoying me, as I bought the tablet for work and it's basically useless to me without the Wifi.  

17 Posts

July 7th, 2013 04:00

MySilent, did the earlier comments and responses help answer your question? In  my case a newer wireless router helped.

July 8th, 2013 03:00

I tried doing everything that has been suggested above and nothing is helping.  I took it over to a friend's house yesterday and it wasn't showing any wireless connections available, and appeared to be still connected to my home network (over 20 miles away..), which would suggest the problem is with my device, or a component of my device, rather than the router.  :emotion-43:  

July 8th, 2013 03:00

Also, the router is brand new one - we have just moved house and were sent it by Virgin media about a month ago.  

828 Posts

July 8th, 2013 09:00

I'm not sure if you can get on your home WIFI or not, but if so, check for updates and install them until no further updates are available.   Make sure your router has the latest firmware available.   If this doesn't resolve the problem, I'd suggest you contact support for a replacement unit.   The bug you describe above should have been fixed a long time ago.

1 Message

September 27th, 2014 03:00

Sir, I have the same problem with my dell XPS 10. I have strong signal with my wifi in my room, but my tablet does not work properly(freezing or very very slow). But with my other computer no problem at all with the wifi in my room. And when i bring my tablet at internet cafe wifi it works so well...  Is that the router are the problem or settings from my tablet. Please help me....

1 Message

October 17th, 2014 17:00

I know this seems strange, but bump your WiFi connection down to WEP if it happens to be WPA2 or the like. I realize it's less secure than WPA2, but until Microsoft addresses the issue (probably very soon), you should stay connected.

No Events found!