Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2014 12:00

sleep disabled after A13 update - venue 11 pro 7130

I installed bios A13 and noticed that I lost my sleep option when powering down the device. It just disappeared from the menus and the power button which was previously mapped to sleep had no effect when pressed.

running powercfg /a showed the culprit to be the mobile broadband.  I then installed the latest driver for mobile broadband, 5808e:  Communications_Driver_DN2H2_WN_5.14.4163.504_A02.EXE

Still no luck.  Any idea what is causing the modem to keep the sleep options disabled?  Output from powercfg below:

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when connected standby is supported.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Standby (Connected)
The following hardware does not fulfill the requirements for this standb
y state:
Mobile broadband

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

17 Posts

October 7th, 2014 14:00

A new driver (A03) was released a couple days ago that seems to have fixed the problem.

Communications_Driver_TFRW0_WN_6.1.4194.503_A03.EXE

17 Posts

September 25th, 2014 14:00

i have confirmed that the 5808e driver seems to be locking out the connected sleep state.  uninstalling the driver unlocks that state.  I tried reverting to prior versions (A01 and A00) of the 5808e driver with unsuccessful results.

I suspect something in the bios is causing this issue?  Can anyone else with the 5808 mobile broadband card confirm this?  it's quite annoying to have to fully shut down the device each time it is finished being used.

17 Posts

September 29th, 2014 12:00

no one else with this issue?  it immediately goes away when uninstalling the driver for the 5808e network adapter.

17 Posts

September 29th, 2014 13:00

after installing the driver, the network adapter appears in device manager and then is removed/installed automatically by the installer 3 more times.  This occurs after the installer reports a successful installation.  You can just watch it being added/removed in device manager after the driver installer finishes.  Each time a new adapter is listed with the device name but with a # identifier at the end.  E.g. Dell Wireless 5808e Gobi(TM) 4G LTE Mobile Broadband Card #4.

FWIW, powercfg showed the sleep state as enabled for the first iteration of the device but disabled for each subsequent installation (#2, #3, and #4).

17 Posts

September 29th, 2014 14:00

From the windows 8.1 energy report (powercfg /energy):

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby has been disabled due to non-compliant hardware.
This computer has indicated support for Connected Standby however one or more hardware components fails to comply with the requirements for this state. The following component(s) do not fulfill these requirements:
Mobile Broadband Hardware Not Compliant

7 Posts

September 30th, 2014 00:00

I am seeing the same problem with tablet. I have taken screenshots as well. Have you opened a support case yet?

1 Message

October 1st, 2014 01:00

I'm having similar problems here. I recently updated one of our tablets because of some keyboard and mobile broadband issues. Thinking it would be wise to update all dell drivers, I installed the A13 bios too. Now I can either choose to have the broadband adapter installed, or have access to sleep mode. 

17 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 19:00

the driver has reinstalled itself so many times I am up to number 15 on the mobile broadband network adapter.  clearly something wrong.

7 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 20:00

the driver has reinstalled itself so many times I am up to number 15 on the mobile broadband network adapter.  clearly something wrong.

Yes, the only way to "fix" it is to uninstall the driver. Then it stops doing this stuff. The only problem is the broadband card won't work. Installing old drivers doesn't fix it either. Can you call Dell and open a case? I will as well. Then let's compare notes.

7 Posts

October 7th, 2014 21:00

A new driver (A03) was released a couple days ago that seems to have fixed the problem.

Communications_Driver_TFRW0_WN_6.1.4194.503_A03.EXE

This solves the driver reinstallation issue and sleep issue. Thanks Dell.

It introduces a few new issues: 1) The On/Off button next to Mobile Broadband is greyed out in Windows 8.1. 2) I'd like the Sierra Wireless Skylight application so I can get a bit more control over the WWAN card. I can force an installation based on the 5808 A02 Application package available from Dell but I would prefer it be made for the V11P specifically. 3) GPS still does not present itself to Windows correctly so it can be used by applications.

Are you seeing this too?

17 Posts

October 9th, 2014 06:00

The toggle for MBB is working on my machine when accessed through the power menu from the charms bar.

I don't know how to tell if GPS is working properly.  Maps does find my location but I know it is also smart enough to look at lan and wifi to guess a location.

No Events found!