Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2015 08:00

venue 11 pro (7140) charger turning off

hi , my factory 24W charger is turning off occasionally (light on charger turns off and tablet comes up charger disconnected).

I have the keyboard/extra battery that the screen plugs into and st the time the tablets power was at 63% and the keyboard was at 0%.

after some testing it seems the charger is happy to stay on and charge my phone which has a lower power usage as well as the venue tablet with the keyboard disconnected.

When clicked back onto the keyboard the charger turns off after about  minute.

it didnt seem to have a problem with the keyboard connected and charging when the screen and keyboard both have more than 0% charge.

Is this normal?

i am guessing its a current draw safety feature of the charger but should this cause it?

thanks

828 Posts

February 4th, 2015 08:00

The tablet adapter we ship is 24 watt, 19.5 volt (1.2A) or 5V (2A).   

The desktop dock adapter we ship is either 45 or 65 watts, 19.5 volt (3.34A).

The battery is not user removable, so there wouldn't be a reason to run without it, but the AC adapter is capable of powering the system without the battery.   Take the small 24 watt adapter and whichever keyboard you desire.

828 Posts

January 26th, 2015 17:00

hi , my factory 24W charger is turning off occasionally (light on charger turns off and tablet comes up charger disconnected).

I have the keyboard/extra battery that the screen plugs into and st the time the tablets power was at 63% and the keyboard was at 0%.

after some testing it seems the charger is happy to stay on and charge my phone which has a lower power usage as well as the venue tablet with the keyboard disconnected.

When clicked back onto the keyboard the charger turns off after about  minute.

it didnt seem to have a problem with the keyboard connected and charging when the screen and keyboard both have more than 0% charge.

Is this normal?

i am guessing its a current draw safety feature of the charger but should this cause it?

thanks

You may have a flaky cable.  The AC adapter will trip itself if it senses some sort of problem or short.   This will result in the LED going off and the charger will quit working until you unplug it from the wall (and possibly the computer) and then plug it back in again.   This resets it.   It it continues to trip, you either have a short in the cable or a problem in the tablet.   Try another cable first.   The charger has two modes (24w and low power mode) but it will only charge at the high power mode when communication is made between the charger and the tablet.  In other words, it won't charge your cell phone at the same rate it would charge the tablet.   If the cable and AC adapter never trip off on the tablet, then you may have an issue with the keyboard dock or the internal battery.   I'm not sure if you've tried connected the micro USB connector directly to the charging port in the keyboard dock, but this would be another troubleshooting step as well.

January 28th, 2015 08:00

My 7130 came with a 2AMP charger and my replaced Dell docking station with new charger  has a 45AMP charger.  The guy above has a 24 AMP charger with an automatic shift to low power. Do I need a higher amp charger for the road to charge my tablet when with either the slim or battery keyboard attached ? Last trip I observed the 2AMP cannot keep up when using the tablet with  the slim keyboard. I've been traveling with a docking station and Bluetooth keyboard as a workaround,  

828 Posts

February 2nd, 2015 15:00

We ship 24 WATT adapters with the 5130, 7130 and 7140.  The desktop dock comes with a 45 WATT adapter.   The adapters that ship with the tablets are 1.2/2 Amp auto switching.

What you have is correct and is fine for the tablet or the tablet in the keyboard dock.  The desktop dock requires the larger wattage adapter (which has a barrel instead of a micro USB connector).

February 3rd, 2015 13:00

My wifes 24 Watt adapter puts out 4 amps at 6v to her 7130. correct? That's twice the 2 amps my adapter puts out. Shouldn't her adapter charge twice as fast as mine? Will either power the tablet with no battery? including slim keyboard? including battery keyboard? I'm going on the road a month and wondering what keyboard to take and which adapter to take or to carry my dock and use it as a charger.

February 4th, 2015 09:00

Somehow with two 7130s, one of which has been replaced once and repaired three times, I've ended up with two different adapters. I've not been using the 24watt adapter on my personal 7130 and had poor charging and powering performance on the road. I'll now order the correct 24 watt adapter and "have a stronger one for the road"

Thanks much Richard Spahn

828 Posts

February 13th, 2015 14:00

Somehow with two 7130s, one of which has been replaced once and repaired three times, I've ended up with two different adapters. I've not been using the 24watt adapter on my personal 7130 and had poor charging and powering performance on the road. I'll now order the correct 24 watt adapter and "have a stronger one for the road"

Thanks much Richard Spahn

Hmm.  Maybe someone made a mistake and sent you the smaller 10 watt adapter that ships with our 8" and smaller tablets.   This one will only trickle charge the 11" devices and definitely is not ideal.

1 Message

May 31st, 2015 10:00

"You may have a flaky cable" ....."Try another cable first." 

I think I have a short in my cable.

Will this cable be okay with the original charger?

Thank you.

1 Message

May 31st, 2015 11:00

Same here. I damaged my cable by dropping it with my phone from my bed. The cable became faulty and my adapter keeps switching to 3W when charging my venue 11 pro. I am looking for a replacement for the cable but I do not know whether the cables sold in a random store would be safe enough to deal with the 2 amp current. So is there any suggestion for a replacement? Thx!

No Events found!