Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2017 00:00

Unisphere GUI and CLI show different performance values for VVOLs

Hi,

I have a Unity 650F in our lab and I provisioned a VVOL Container to an ESX Cluster. A Storage Policy has been created with I/O Limits set. Then I performed a quick IOmeter test from a single VM to check if I/O Limits work. The pattern is a 4k block, 70/30 r/w with step OIO set.

So far it works fine and as expected. However, in regards to response times Unisphere GUI and CLI report different values. Where Unisphere GUI shows sub-ms, CLI and IOmeter report values around ~30 ms.

I understand the high values as IOmeter pushes heavily against the I/O limited Container, but I wonder why Unisphere GUI reports sub-ms values.

Any idea?

Uni_GUI.pngUni_CLI.jpgIOmeter.png

Thanks

Dieter

4.5K Posts

December 6th, 2017 09:00

That's probably something that can't be answered here. In the GUI the values are collected every five seconds so the times may be different that what you see in IOImeter. As for the CLI commands, which command string are you using?

glen

PS. You may want to open a service request with support - we might be able to either setup a lab test or work with you on your setup to see where the differences are coming from.

59 Posts

December 8th, 2017 05:00

Thanks Glen,

I'm not sure which CLI command I exactly used. It has been something like this (but in this case not for LUNs but for VVOL).

uemcli -d 172.xx.xx.xx /metrics/value/rt -path sp.*.storage.lun.*.responseTime show -interval 5 -Output csv

Before opening a Service request, I'll do some more testing to double check. I just wondered if this is a known issue.

Regards

Dieter

4.5K Posts

December 8th, 2017 11:00

So far I have not heard of this issue. You may want to retest and if you get the same results you should open a case with support. Also, make sure you're running the most current code release for the Unity - there may have been updates that might have addressed this issue already.

glen

No Events found!