Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 3rd, 2016 01:00

Unitiy VSA Community Edition Root Key - svc_inject

Hi,

an EMC Support Technican adviced me to ask here if someone can provide me an Root Key for Unity VSA Community Edition.

VIRT16196XQ8JY

06:53:30 service@VIRT16196XQ8JY-spa spa:~> svc_inject -k

Warning: prior invalid attempts detected - sleeping for 2 seconds ...

Current Challenge: D4171-9DCB5-34095-8085F-0D06A-CFB2B

Enter response (or CTRL-C to quit):

Thank you

169 Posts

What exactly you want to do with this?.

On VSA, i cant think of any command that require this.

104 Posts

Mount nas commands and check on that

Am 03.06.2016 10:34 vorm. schrieb maniemc :

ECN

reply from maniemc in Unity - View the full discussion

>

169 Posts

There is no nas commands on unity. Everything is via uemcli (or gui/restapi).

If you want to view the logs, svc_dc will get you that.

• 

239 Posts

Hi Sebastian,

Root access should not be required as most activities are accessible via the normal svc_ commands.

Could you elaborate a bit more on what commands you are trying to run?

Andre

• 

239 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 02:00

Sebastian,

Could you tell us exactly what commands you would like to test/run ?

Thanks

Andre

• 

239 Posts

Hi Sebastian,

I understand that you are trying to enable the service shell (root), but the question is if there is any real need for it.

It's unlikely that this kind of information will be provided for test purposes, and will most likely remain internal only (unless there is a clear valid reason).

We will check internally if this is something that can (or should) be provided. We will get back to you on this.

Andre

104 Posts

Thank you

Am 03.06.2016 11:12 vorm. schrieb Andre_Durao :

ECN

reply from Andre Durao in Unity - View the full discussion

104 Posts

Hi,

first of all this is the community ( TEST ) edition.

I try to enable the svc_service_shell mount NAS commands as used on DART.

This is only for testing

• 

239 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 05:00

Hi Sebastian,

So by design, root access is only allowed for EMC Engineering and Level 2 Tech Support.

The idea is that root access should never be needed on Unity at all. Everything that is required for support should be achieved by service commands (or UEMCLI, REST API, etc. depending on what you are trying to accomplish).

If something requires root access, this means that L2 Tech Support or Engineering should be involved.

Also, remember that Unity, although there are some similarities, is a completely different product from previous VNX/Celerra/CLARiiON arrays.

Commands like nas_x or server_x are no longer available to customers and partners.

The tools available for Unity should have other commands to allow you to do the same (or close) actions that you were able to in other EMC products.

A few links here for the CLI guide, SVC commands, and REST API:

Unity Family Unisphere CLI User Guide:

https://support.emc.com/docu69330_Unity_Family_Unisphere_CLI_User_Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Unity Family Service Commands:

https://support.emc.com/docu69328_Unity_Family_Service_Commands.pdf?language=en_US&language=en_US

Unity Family Unisphere Management REST API Reference Guide and Programmer's Guide:

https://support.emc.com/docu69899_Unity_Family_Unisphere_Management_REST_API_Reference_Guide.zip?language=en_US&language=en_US

https://support.emc.com/docu69331_Unity-Family-Unisphere-Management-REST-API-Programmer's-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Remember to mark this thread as answered if this addresses your questions.

Andre

104 Posts

June 3rd, 2016 06:00

Hi Andre,

thanks a lot ... sad to hear that we are that locked out ...

as Unity is that close to VNXe i really hope the EMC support will be better for Unity ....

• 

239 Posts

Hi Sebastian,

As a final quick note: even though there are similarities, VNXe is very different from VNXe3200 and Unity.

There are all very different products.

Unity tech support is being provided by both VNX and VNXe teams.

Andre

8.6K Posts

Hi Sebastian,

if you find a customer activity that would legitmately require root than let us know and we can ask for a customer or svc_ command.

Rainer

• 

239 Posts

June 4th, 2016 01:00

KB 484592 was created to reflect this.

How to get root access on Unity arrays?

https://support.emc.com/kb/484592

2 Posts

March 27th, 2019 09:00

I have a real need for it, and despite the fact I WORK for Dell EMC even I cannot open an SR on my own products here.. Something to do with Dell and our records or access.. So now I am stuck trying to figure this out myself until we can figure out the issue with ESM internally and why i cannot open an SR>

I have a unity 400 array and the reason i need root access is that i created an iSCSI interface and the unisphere crashed during the creation. Now whenever i click on iscsi interfaces the entire unisphere crashes and reloads and i cannot access ANY of my iscsi interfaces any more.  I checked using uemcli and i can SEE the 2 interfaces were created.. so i want to delete them but i need root access.  I would think this is the ONLY reason i would need it and I DO NEED it.. it warns me i don't have access to delete the interfaces...

is this something easier you can send me directly or provide details on?  or will i really need to get an SR open?  I can't even open an SR on my other unity arrays that have been in production for years! None of my records show up when i search to open an SR even with Dell EMC chat.

• 

239 Posts

March 28th, 2019 05:00

Scottson, if you are an employee, please follow the normal processes. Forums should not be used for this.

Yes, you need an SR for this. If you can't then you need to get your account organized etc. Ping me separate please.

No Events found!