Start a Conversation

Unsolved

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 10:00

Unity 300 - Upgrading I/O Cards

So I have read the KB article here: https://emcservice.force.com/CustomersPartners/kA2j0000000QXpVCAW

And am curious if dual 1GbE-T I/O cards can be replaced with dual 10GbE-T cards?  The article mentions that certain cards of the same "type" can be exchanged without re-initializing.  Is this one of those scenarios?

Also, the 10GbE ports built into the SP's are currently not in use.  Can they be configured and placed in use without re-initializing?  My client has just replaced their VMWare hosts with 3 new Dell's that have 10GbE built in, and would like to take advantage of it.

Josh

4.5K Posts

October 24th, 2018 14:00

Pretty sure you can swap the IO cards if they are both 10Gb. Go to the support page and do a search for SOLVE - this is a tool that you can use to create procedures, like swapping IO cards - it should let you know if that's possible.

On the Unity there are two built-in ports (ports 2 and 3) that are 10Gb RJ45 connections. There is also the two CNA ports (ports 4/5), which can be configured for either Fiber Channel or ethernet (iSCSI). depending on which SFP you install. I'd suggest that you take a look at the Unity Best Practices Guide - it lists the limits for the different types of ports (max IO/sec). Note that the CNA ports have a lower IOPS rating than the IO Modules for the iSCSI. You don't want to configure a host using a port from the IO Module with a port from the CNA.

With iSCSI, take a look at the UNity iSCSI Best Practices KB article https://support.emc.com/kb/501595

glen

2 Posts

November 13th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your reply!  Just curious, why do you say "You don't want to configure a host using a port from the IO Module with a port from the CNA."  I took a look at the Best Practices guide, and it looks like the 10Gbe CNA ports have the same IOPS as a 2-port 10Gbe I/O card.  We are currently only using 2 ports on the 1Gbe I/O cards, so would it not make sense to switch over to the 2 10Gbe CNA ports if we replace the current switches with 10Gbe?

Thanks again

4.5K Posts

November 14th, 2018 11:00

It depends on whether or not you're using iSCSI or just File for the ports. Look at table 4 - iSCSI on the CNA ports is a bit lower than the IO modules for iSCSI. Table 5 is for FIle (ethernet) only and does not present a problem.

glen

No Events found!