Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2016 01:00

UnityVSA Community Edition - User rights on standalone NAS server

Hello all,

I'm experimenting with two UnityVSA Community Edition. I want to use them as NAS server with replication. I don't have an AD or something similar. So I configured the NAS server as standalone system in a workgroup. I can access the files by using the administrator account.

Now I want to set up more local users and give them access rights to some file shares on the UnityVSA. My Problem is that I can't manage local users on it. Neither with the computer management nor with the EMC Unity-VNX-File-CIFS-Management-Tools 8.1.9.157 I can connect to the NAS server. Even when conncting to the C$ share with the administrator account I can't open the management for local users.

Is it possible that I don't have access to the computer management of the NAS server because of working with Windows 10 Professional? I don't have older Windows clients for managing this server.

Can anyone give me advice how to set up local users on the UnityVSA for giving them file access rights?

Thank you.

Nachricht geändert durch theexpert: Add a question regarding computer management of the NAS server on the UnityVSA with Windows 10 Professonal.

21 Posts

October 20th, 2016 00:00

Thank you, you gave me the correct hint. I didn't try to connect via net use on the command line. I only connected via Windows Explorer. But I wasn't able to connect to IPC$.

With the following trick I get access to the Computer Management of the NAS server:

1. Open the command line as administrator.
  2. Connect to the C$ share of the NAS server with net use command. You have to use the administrator account for connecting to the C$ share.
  3. Open the MMC and open Computer Management snap-in by connecting to the NAS server.
  4. Now you can manage the local users, groups, shares etc.

I think that this is because of the security settings of Windows 10.

Thank you all for your help.

169 Posts

October 19th, 2016 05:00

All you need is, MMC Computer Management (compmgmt.msc) and connect to Unity NAS Server as the administrator.

8.6K Posts

October 19th, 2016 05:00

should work exactly like on VNX - with the standard Microsoft MMC to manage local users/groups

You do NOT need the EMC plugin for that.

21 Posts

October 19th, 2016 08:00

As I already wrote: Neither with the Computer Management nor with the EMC plugins I can connect to the NAS server or the IP address of the NAS server. But I can connect to the C$ share of this NAS server.

Should I connect to the Unity VSA management IP address (in my opinion this doesn't make sense)? Or is there an issue when connecting from a Windows 10 Professional client?

169 Posts

October 19th, 2016 15:00

It is bit tricky as it might try to connect as logged in user (not as the administrator). Check google for "net use" to connect as IPC$ as administrator.

8.6K Posts

October 20th, 2016 04:00

thanks for the feedback

yes by just connecting via Explorer it seems that it sometimes doesnt work - maybe it uses the wrong security context.

by explicitly mapping a share with the correct user you make sure that this users security context is used when you talk to the CIFS server.

Similar for using Windows quota editor.

Rainer

No Events found!