Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2017 13:00

UnityVSA VNX File import

All,

I am trying to setup a lab where we can practice the migration of file services from a VNX system to a UnityVSA appliance.  To accomplish this, we are attempting to use the UnityVSA "Import" feature. 

I have gone through the setup guides, but it seems that no matter what I do, I get the following generic error message from Unity while creating a "Connection" to the VNX.

"Failed: An error occurred while trying to communicate with the remote VNX system. The credentials used might be incorrect or there may be a network issue while connecting to the remote VNX system. (Error Code:0x650018e)"

I have verified the following:

1.  The username and pasword is correct.

2.  The systems can ping eachother.

3.  I have tried against a VNX simulator as well as a physical VNX5500.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can get more details about the issue? 

8.6K Posts

February 21st, 2017 03:00

check if you have multiple sysadminxx accounts in the /etc/passwd of the VNX - esp. ones with a non-existant homedir

February 21st, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the suggestion.   There is only one sysadmin account, and it has a homedir.

sysadmin:x:500:201::/home/sysadmin:/bin/bash

March 14th, 2017 13:00

Could someone confirm if it is possible to demonstrate the Unity import process using a UnityVSA as a destination, and a VNX simulator as the source?

April 18th, 2017 10:00

I am having the exact same issue.  Can somebody from EMC or the community confirm whether or not VNX simulator "Data Mover" Import into Unity VSA works or is supported?

4 Posts

April 21st, 2017 00:00

Hi Norm

were you able to get this to work or find a solution to get the import feature working from VNX to Unity ?

April 21st, 2017 05:00

No, it still does not work for us.   We have followed the instructions to the letter (i.e. creating the interface on the VNX with proper name, etc).   I have even attempted to get the Unity VSA to try and recognize our physical VNX 5400 with no success either.

8 Posts

July 17th, 2017 11:00

We are having the same problem.  Everything appears to be inline with documentation.  Has anyone see a resolution to this?

8.6K Posts

July 18th, 2017 00:00

I would suggest to open a service request

without log file analysis this is going to be difficult to say

You could check the release notes of the just available OE 4.2 for fixes and try that

8.6K Posts

August 21st, 2017 04:00

correct - that makes sense

File import does contact the SP which is not simulated on the VNX file simulator.

File import from a physical VNX to a Unity VSA should work - if this doesnt work then open a service request

2 Posts

August 21st, 2017 04:00

Probably you would be able to use UnityVSA to import from a physical VNX but not from the simulator.

The error comes up when it's specified the VNX control station, but you should specify the VNX SP ip. So in the VNX simulator it won't be possible to import anything in a unity because the SP are not present in the VNX simulator.

8 Posts

August 31st, 2017 05:00

Hi all

Has anybody actually been able to use file Importer from a Unity VSA looking at a physical VNX?

We are running the latest Unity VSA code : 4.2.0.9476662 with a physical VNX running block code 05.33.009.5.184 and file code 8.1.9-184.

When I enter the details into the connection setup on the Unity VSA for the physical VNX control station:

IP Address: 10.83.*.*

User Name: nasadmin

Password: ***********

we get the same error message:

Failed: An error occurred while trying to communicate with the remote VNX system. The credentials used might be incorrect or there may be a network issue while connecting to the remote VNX system. (Error Code:0x650018e)

We have checked that both the control station can ping the Unity VSA management IP and vice versa so I must be missing something here.

Thanks

John

3 Posts

August 31st, 2017 08:00

i'm using it on a physical unity, but i think that it is be the same problem.

Please pay attention to the manual, you should specify a SP address (not the control station one) and a sysadmin or similar account credentials.

Pietro

8.6K Posts

September 1st, 2017 05:00

YES

you do need to enter the Storage Processor (SP) IP address and NOT the control station one

also you need to provide the sysadmin account - it wont work with nasadmin

If it still doesnt do a "grep sysadmin /etc/hosts" if there multiple sysadmin acccount - there was a problem with stale sysadmin accounts or ones that didnt have a valid home directory (see the knowlwedgebase)

8 Posts

September 4th, 2017 02:00

If I am trying to import a NAS filesystem / VDM how can the storage processor do this? I know it's meant to be a unified product however I thought the NAS element was always still manged via the control station? Also I've tried using the storage processor IP's using both sysadmin and a new account with administrator privileges and I'm still seeing the same error.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2017 02:00

in the doc "docu71631_Dell-EMC-Unity--Migration-Technologies---A-Detailed-Review.pdf" it's explained that you have to give an SP ip address.

"""

Import Connections are created under the Import tab under Protection & Mobility, and require the VNX SPA or SPB IP and administrator credentials. When the Import Connection is successfully established, all the VDMs that are eligible for migration are discovered

"""

The administrator that you use has to be administrator of the storage domain (like sysadmin) and administrator with ssh privilege on the file part (like nasadmin). To achieve this i've created a new user both in the storage domain and on the control station (something like settings-> security-> file local users). With that user unity can do the import.

Please be advised that in my opinion it is too early to use this tool.

No Events found!