Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2013 07:00

Can you do a "start reclaim" on an entire Storage Group?

I have used to the symconfigure -cmd "start reclaim on tdev XXXX;" commit command to reclaim space on a single tdev before but now what I would like to do is run a start reclaim on an entire storage group without having to run it on each tdev.  If this is supported I could not find the right syntax for the command.  Anyone know if it is possible and what the syntax is?  If it is not possible I'll list the tdevs and use a loop to issue the start reclaim on each one.

98 Posts

August 15th, 2013 09:00

Yes.  The start reclaim command can accept a single TDEV, a range of TDEVs, a device group or a storage group to specify the devices to be reclaimed.

To start a reclaim on all the devices in an SG, the command syntax is as follows

symconfigure -sid xx -cmd "start reclaim on tdev in SG ;" commit

Hope that helps.

August 15th, 2013 09:00

Thank you, it does.  The syntax of the command looked like it should support it but it wasn't clear (to me) how to specify it.  I was trying symconfigure -sid xx -cmd "start reclaim on/in SG ;" commit.

Thanks again.

August 21st, 2013 06:00

Follow up question; after starting a reclaim on a storage group is there a way to monitor the progress to know when the reclaim is finished?  I know I can use symcfg list -pool -thin -detail -gb -i 30 to watch the used GB count which gives an indication if the reclaim is still running but doesn't let me know when the reclaim is done.

98 Posts

August 21st, 2013 07:00

If you run

symcfg -sid xx list -tdev -sg

there is a Status colum shown for each device in the SG.  This column will show an 'R' for each of the devices where the reclaim is still active.

You can also use the verify option to see if any of the devies in the SG are still actively being reclaimed.

symcfg -sid xx -sg verify -tdev -reclaiming

August 21st, 2013 08:00

Thank you, just what I was looking for.

419 Posts

August 22nd, 2013 01:00

I've attached a WhitePaper on Space Reclamation with VP one to have a look at for the application considerations, it's quite good goes through how to do it with Unisphere and Cli also discusses some of the new features like SCSI UNMAP and various implementations on each host OS..  One for the night stand .

1 Attachment

28 Posts

December 16th, 2014 11:00

How do we reclaim zero space on pools ?

116 Posts

January 9th, 2017 05:00

Hi,

May I know is there any impact to the host when we run the reclaim?  i supposed this is an online activity

121 Posts

January 9th, 2017 11:00

Yes, this is an online activity to the host.

July 11th, 2017 09:00

I am in middle of performing space reclamation from VMware datastore using VAAI unmap.

But not sure what configuration change do I have to perform.

Could you please suggest step by step commands I need to run on vmax ???

Eng: 5876.288.195 am using

ESXi: 5.5

No Events found!