Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 26th, 2012 07:00

Concatenated Meta members of different RAID type

Hi,

In Clariion, we can have meta members of different sizes and different RAID types when it comes to Concat Meta Expansion.

Does it also holds true in Symmetrix DMX and VMAX series?

Thank you,

Abdul Quadir

9 Posts

October 8th, 2012 06:00

Primus emc41646 confirmed that having different raid types is not RECOMMENDED by EMC.

9 Posts

In Clariion, it is possible to have different RAID type member  incase of Concat, although need confirmation does it holds true for Symmetrix?

859 Posts

size can be diff in case of concat and i believe same raid type holds true only for striped meta not for concat.

56 Posts

September 27th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

If your doing thin provisioning then you cannot .As I never earlier made concat metas in our environment so tried to do it on my system for the thin devices and it dont allow me to add a member which is bound and as soon you unbind them and add to meta head it will be bounded to meta heads pool.

1)  bounded them to seperate pool

2) created the meta head

3) tried to add the memeber but unable to do so.

A Configuration Change operation is in progress. Please wait...

Establishing a configuration change session...............Established.

Error occurred while Defining change number 1:
    Thin device is bound to a pool
    Device 0DAC generated the failure

Terminating the configuration change session..............Done.

4) unbind the meta member and added and it got added to it easily.

Now when free ill try for the thick devices also and give you results here.

Regards,

Mrinal Dani

9 Posts

September 28th, 2012 05:00

Hi Mrinal,

Thanks for your efforts and would like to know, members you added are fo different RAID type than Meta head?

This is what I m looking for.

Regards

AQ.

56 Posts

September 28th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

I used the tdevs as mentioned . So I created the tdev and binded them to different pools so they have different raid type and thin pool. But it didnt allowed me to add the member and so I havd to unbind and then add which makes the member binded to the same pool as meta head was. But for thick luns you can perfrom the same similar creating two luns from different disks groups ( diff raid and disks type ) and then try forming concat meta. I have not tried on thick so I will avoid stating anything on it.

Regards,

Mrinal Dani

No Events found!