MelbSteve
2 Bronze

Re: Creating DRV(Dynamic Relocation Volumes)

Jump to solution

With SMC if you select "Create Device" then in the Regular Device tab the option "Configuration" should have DRV as an option.

As mentioned for a VMAX the DRV are protected but I would assume this would be taken care of by SMC.

The disk group is not important for the DRV volumes however it may be of concern to your system layout or perfomance requirements.

Steve.

0 Kudos
Quincy561
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

That thread does not apply since this is VMAX.  DRVs are different on VMAX.

I found this document which talks about full volume FAST, which uses the same method to swap volumes as Optimizer.

http://powerlink.emc.com/km/live1/en_US/Offering_Technical/Technical_Documentation/300-010-337.pdf?m...

0 Kudos
tech511
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

In the thread .... from what i see stefano ran a script for creating DRVs

create dev count=6, emulation=fba, config=drv, size=18608;

But this is not supported in the version of SE i have... the symconfigure command would not run.

Error occurred while Defining change number 1:

The requested feature is not supported for this microcode or SYMAPI version

Terminating the configuration change session..............Done.

The configuration change session has failed.

Any input on this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Amita2
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi,

With Enginuity 5874, only mirrored DRV devices can be created.So, you would need to use the syntax:

create dev count=X, size=XXXXXX cyl, emulation=XXX, config=2-Way-DRV-Mir

0 Kudos
tech511
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks Amita. Can you also suggest how many of these DRVs should be created on each of the diskgroups. -Thanks

0 Kudos
Amita2
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi,

5874 onwards, only 1 DRV is used per swap.

DRV can be equal or larger in size than the logical device that is swapped.

There is no restriction on the disk technology DRV device should be configured on. It could be configured on EFD, FC or SATA.

If same technology DRV is not available for the swap, optimizer will take any available DRV to perform the swap.

So I dont think it really matters on the disk Groups basis how many DRV;s should be configured.

tech511
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi Amita,

We have 3 Disk Groups and I wanted to create a DRV with the biggest lun size being 600 GB, so do we have to create a DRV eqaul or greater than the 600 G's on any of the disk groups? -Thanks

0 Kudos