Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2013 11:00

EmcGrab cause a 90% busy for a FA port CPU

Hi everybody,

I had a big issue today with a VMAX in 5875... : Emcgrab 4.5.1 on Solaris and AIX host with MPxIO causea 90 % and more CPU busy... The read and write response time of all storage group rises up to 500 ms with a huge impact on most applications...

As we have many storage groups, the emcgrab process taked a long time to run, and as soon as we cancelled it, the %busy of the cpu get back to a normal level...

I am able to reproduce the problem with any vmax in 5875... Has anyone face the same issue ????

Regards,

Stéphane

465 Posts

October 10th, 2013 16:00

OK, it looks like the Version 4.5.1 version of EMCgrab does not include the enhancements to make the SE commands run more efficiently. I'll chase that one up.

In the mean time, if you want to get Solutions Enabler output, it would be better to run it on a windows server with EMCreports Version 42.

If you want to run EMCgrab on Unix, use the "-symmid bypass" parameter to avoid detailed SE commands running... Until the next release of EMCgrab at least.

465 Posts

October 10th, 2013 15:00

EMCreports Version42 (latest version) has many improvements to improve the elapsed time and minimise syscalls (the events in that use FA CPU). I understood that these improvements also made it into the latest EMCgrab, like the one you are running. Do you have a recent version of Solutions Enabler installed in your Solaris / AIX servers?

October 11th, 2013 00:00

Hi,

We have solution enabler 7.5.0.7 and we are running emcgrabs in order to check prerequisites on the server for NDU upgrade to 5876....

I understand that syscall generated by an emcgrad to the vmax can cause FA ports CPU issues. We do not have many windows host, so emcreport is not use on ou vmax.

Thanks for the answer, i think that the best way will be to usethe symmid bypas.

Regards,

Stéphane

465 Posts

October 28th, 2013 12:00

The enhancements that will lighten the load on FA CPU when running EMCgrab are scheduled to be released with version 4.6.0.

October 29th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this information.We are using the "-symmid bypass" parameter for the moment, and we will download the new version of emcgrab as soon as available .

Regards,

Stéphane

No Events found!