Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2013 07:00

Enginuity and Solution Enabler

Hi Team,

please help me to understand why solution enabler is used and why Enginuity is used in Symmetrix.

what are these two meant for? is that Operating System ?

please explain . thank you

467 Posts

May 9th, 2013 09:00

Basically you can think of Enginuity are the operating system of the Symmetrix family of products.  It run Symmetrix product you also have service processor,  which is where the control of Enginuity happens...  It also runs on the directors on a Symmetrix

Solutions Enabler, or symcli, is the interface by which we as end users manager the Symm.  It allows us to create and  destroy LUNs, assign storage to host, and all the other associate things we do.  They can be accomplished using a GUI,  by still use Solutions Enabler on the backend.

859 Posts

May 9th, 2013 07:00

enginuity is the firmware that runs on Symm and solution enabler is an CLI based application that is installed on OS (Windows, HP UX, Linux, AIX) and is used to manage Symm.

You can compare enginuity with an OS.

regards,
Saurabh

97 Posts

May 9th, 2013 22:00

ok So which kind of OS is Enginuity ?  is that linux based platform or UNIX? or something else?

So, shall i consider solution enabler is some thing like unisphere or navisphere? please let know

97 Posts

May 9th, 2013 23:00

saurabh,

i am bit confused is enginuity is firmware or operating system. pls help

465 Posts

May 10th, 2013 00:00

Enginuity is the operating environment for the Symmetrix platform. If you are thinking in terms of a computer, its more like an OS than firmware. Don't think of it like a server OS (linux etc.) as it is dedicated for the Symmetrix.

2 Intern

• 

2.1K Posts

May 12th, 2013 19:00

i believe it's something else, neither UNIX and LINUX.

yes, you can consider Solutions Enabler is command interface as unisphere. but more component it has, like daemons controls arrays operations.

No Events found!