Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

August 26th, 2015 08:00

Help getting LUN configurations

We recently moved to a corporate SAN hosted on either VMAX or Symmetrix (not sure which or which model).

We use to be on a self managed CX4 configuration, where I was able to control the configuration of the array.

The performance of our luns really sucks compared to the CX4 configuration, and I have asked several times for someone to explain to me how things are configured on the corporate SAN, but allways getting BS back from SAN team.

So, im looking for a way to have them run one or more specific commands on the corporate SAN and send the output to me for review, where (hopefully) they won't be introducing a layer of BS and will be giving me accurate details.

What im looking for is for each of my luns, how exactly are they configured on the array. We had requested dedicated spindles, but we believe they they are not telling us the truth due to the performance issues.

Is there a command(s) which we can request them to provide the output from, which will show us how our LUNs are layed out on the array, specifically if they are in a pool or dedicated spindles?

522 Posts

August 26th, 2015 09:00

a "symdev -sid show " would probably be a good place to start as it will give you the make-up of the LUN you inquire about as well as any integration that LUN might have with clones/snaps/SRDF/etc. You can also see if it is a metavolume as well. These can be issued through Solutions Enabler. Unisphere could also be leveraged, but it sounds like they haven't given you access to that.

2 Intern

• 

222 Posts

Ill request this from them, hopefully they will provide the output.

The team seems to be very secretive about how they do things and are always dancing around details and it all feels like smoke/mirrors compared to when I could manage my own CX.

25 Posts

They should be able to gather this information from Unisphere or SMC (depending on VMAX or Symmetrix), but look at the number of paths to the array and whether these paths or dedicated or shared, also look at whether the luns are under FAST Policy.

No Events found!