Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 9th, 2014 07:00

Hot Push From VNX5700 To VMAX20

Hello,

Can anyone point me to a good white-paper on SANCopy from VNX to VMAX? I found several docs that explain VMAX to VNX, but I need to go the other direction. I also must do a hot push (incremental) to VMAX.

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 10th, 2014 12:00

i looked and looked on the support website and could not find that bit about not using -nomark with clusters. Maybe i dreamed it up .  You say you migrated win2k3 clusters with -nomark before right ? If yes then press on forward, don't mind my nonsense.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 9th, 2014 08:00

Daniel,

i have never seen a paper but there is not magic there. Treat  VNX as if it was another host, complete your zoning, masking view stuff and you should be good to go. To force VNX login to VMAX (after zoning is complete), select Update SANCopy connections in Unisphere.

213 Posts

July 9th, 2014 08:00

Hello Daniel,

Welcome to the community.

Have you checked this whitepaper,

https://www.emc.com/collateral/software/white-papers/h2099-emc-clariion-san-copy-wp.pdf

It is not specifically for SYMETRIX but it gives you all steps required to setup the hot push session.

Hope that helps

Mohammed Salem

309 Posts

July 10th, 2014 05:00

I have this one, thanks.

213 Posts

You can run Incremental SAN Copy hot push. in such a case, you would  perform a full SAN Copy with your applications online on the VNX, then run incremental SAN Copy sessions to keep the tracks in sync before the maintenance window. During the maintenance window, Shutdown your applications, run one more incremental SAN Copy, and then bring your applications  back online on the VMAX.

Hope that helps

Mohammed Salem

309 Posts

I was afraid that a hot-push may not be possible from VNX to VMAX, but it sounds like it is. Thanks.

309 Posts

Yes, that's the plan!

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 10th, 2014 06:00

do you have any Windows clusters, depending on the options you use in SANCopy you may have to bring the cluster offline for that initial copy.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

i am looking for the KB that described it (unless it only applied to Win2k3 clusters). From what i remember it was talking about SANCopy not being able to start the session because the LUN had an active cluster reservation which would not allow SANCopy to temporarily "claim" the LUN so the suggestion was to not use -nomark for cluster volumes. If you have migrated win2k8 clusters using nomark than it's it must have only applied to win2k3.

309 Posts

I leave the cluster up while doing the initial copy. I use this command.

naviseccli -h n1st04em -user XXX -password XXXXX -scope 0 sancopy -start -name "session name" -copywholelun -nomark all

213 Posts

@Dynamox, Can you share with us any doc for SANCopy recommendations with MS Clusters, I am not aware of any!

For the reservation part, It should not be a problem as long as the target LUNs has SCSI3_Persist_reserv flag set to enable and this is the default with VMAXs shipped with ucode 5876. Appreciate if you can clarify further.

Hope that helps

Mohammed Salem

309 Posts

I'm confused now. I've been using nomark for quite some time now on clusters without a problem. How does using a snapshot handle the reserve differently?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

that will not work with clusters, you need to make sure SANCopy creates a SnapView snapshot (in the background) and uses that as the source for the copy process. By specifying -nomark you are telling SANCopy to not create a snapshot, that's fine for regular open systems but not for MS clusters because there there is a reservation placed on the LUN.

309 Posts

July 10th, 2014 07:00

I'm migrating a Win2k3 cluster to a win08R2 on top of moving from VNX to VMAX.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 10th, 2014 08:00

Daniel Jastredowski wrote:

I'm migrating a Win2k3 cluster to a win08R2

how are you doing that ?

No Events found!