Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2016 12:00

How do I force FAST move data NOW?

Have a VMAX40K with 3 tiers: EFD, FC, SATA. Been running the upper two tiers with a 1% reservation to take advantage all capacity in those tiers.  We bind everything to the SATA tier and let FAST move it from there.

The upper two tiers are running at 99% as I wanted, but now I need to create a 2TB volume and pin it to my EFD pool.  I reset my reservation for my EFD pool to 10% yesterday, but the EFD pool is still at 99% (actually 100%).

So, my question is...how can I force the VMAX/FAST to move the data from the EFD pool and get it back down to the 10% reservation I set yesterday?

12 Posts

April 14th, 2016 15:00

Getting tired of waiting on FAST.  Picked a SG with enough tracks in it to meet my need and kicked off a symmigrate.  That was instant satisfaction...well almost instant.  Just had to wait for it to drain from the source pool, but at least it started doing it immediately.

Would still like to know what knobs to turn and levers to pull to get FAST to do it.

26 Posts

April 14th, 2016 19:00

I would not recommend using the FAST engine for movement of data as you suggest.  As you found out, there isn't a way to force FAST to move that data in a prioritized fashion.  You can influence things as you did via PRC, but that just prevents promotion into EFD until it drops below.  It doesn't force an empty.

the method you used, or you implied you used with a symmigrate using a a SG and a source pool (EFD) and target pool (FC) is the mechanism to use for targeted movement and/or freeing of space for something else. (pinning)

12 Posts

April 15th, 2016 06:00

Guess I will forget about trying to use FAST for this.  Thanks Haralson.

No Events found!