Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

July 12th, 2017 09:00

How to determine which one is emgmt-0 vs emgmt-1

I am seeing problems on VMAX3 All Flash where I am seeing alert "Retention failed to run for Symmetrix XXXX within the last 24 hours"  This error is repeated every hour.  It appears this error has crept up since upgraded VMAX to the target code last month.   I open a support ticket and was told to log into vapp manager on mgmt-1 and reboot it.  However,  I don't know which ip mgmt-1 or mgmt-0.  I tried to get help via support chat and there were not able to answer the question.  I have logged into vapp(port 5480) but I couldn't determine anything.  Any idea where this information is kept?   I am concerned about rebooting the wrong one.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2017 18:00

EMC engineering is currently investigating this problem. A permanent fix is still in progress.

The workaround is to failover u4v from mgmt-1 to mgmt-0:

• Log into vapp manager on MGMT-1, and reboot the appliance from the top right corner gear wheel. This should fail over Unisphere to MGMT-0.
  • Please wait 3-5 minutes and log into U4V and run a spa backup. This workaround should fix the issue with retention and spa backups failing.
  • Note if the restart appliance doesn’t fail it over (it will not failover if the ping from the other guest is within the set timeout), contact the PSE lab to shut down the mgmt guest via symmwin.

Ref#

484620 : Embedded VMAX3 Unisphere for VMAX spam error every hour : Retention Failed https://support.emc.com/kb/484620

November 9th, 2017 03:00

Hi Wallace ,USAK*

We've been seing these on our older hybrid VMAX40k since 25th October...i'm sure not precipitated by any code upgrade, we don't have any onboard management on our older 40ks ..(although we do have newer 450AFs but not getting simmilar messages).

We control our 40ks via symapi hosts...hence not familiar with any vapp manager on MGMT-0 or 1, in fact do these refer to vMAx3 only  onboard mgmt tools). We chose not to set these up on our new 450AFs.

So doesn't  look like workaround  appropriate.

Are these messages benign ? Aggregation/Retention failed to run on xxxx within last 24 hours.

Interested to hear of USAK's experience since August ... John

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 14th, 2017 09:00

See the same thing. Can someone please address this issue and a workaround for the older VMAX 40K's?

Thanks!
Jo

No Events found!