Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2013 05:00

How to move meta-volumes from one storage group to another?

So we are in the middle of our first EMC implementation, we have (over seas) professional services working with us. They created a few LUNs in a test pool, we verified we were able to connected them to our VMware environment. The services engineer attempted to move volumes to a new storage group, and now our VMware environment has lost all connectivity to those LUNs.

I see a few issues.

1. How do you delete unwanted storage groups?

The storage group makes you keep one volume in it, and you can't delete it with the volume present.

2. Their solution for this issue was to delete the LUNs and start over

This is not a viable solution when in production

Any one have experience with this?

Thank you kindly,

Steven

278 Posts

May 24th, 2013 06:00

Hi Steven,

glad to help you.

Unfortunately i am not in front of a console and i am not so familiar with UniSphere to help you.

It is quite different from the SMC.

Also i don't remember the commands to tell you how to do it via CLI.

Anything you want i will try to answer you ASAP.

278 Posts

Also keep in mind that if the masking view belongs to a FAST VP pPOlicy, then you have to remove it from the FAST VP before you delete the masking view.

61 Posts

Thank you,

I'm using UniSphere but I will try and have the professional service person follow this track.

Thank you very much for your insights, I'll let me know how this works out.

Thank you,

Steven

278 Posts

Hi Smaiello,

welcome to ECN forum.

i will try to help you and probably and other users inside here.

First of all are you using SMC or UniSphere?

I will try to guide you via SMC.

1. Probably your SG belongs to a Masking View.

So first you have to delete the masking view that the SG belongs!!!!.

After the Masking View is deleted, the you can remove the devices inside the SG and then you can delete the SG.

2. So following the step 1, you don't have to delete the device.

If you want to add the same device into another SG, then you click on the SG that you want to add the device, you choose the "Device mapping and Masking", then Storage Groups Maintenance, then Modify Storage Group and then you choose the Storage Array and clicking on the Filtered option you can search bu device ID or device name the device that you want to use.

In my humble opinion try to set device name on any new device that you are creating. It is going to help you a lot.

Feel free to ask anything you want.

76 Posts

May 24th, 2013 08:00

You may want to check the Online Help in Unisphere by clicking on the ? icon in the upper right hand corner.

No Events found!