Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 23rd, 2014 04:00

How to perform the SRDF from VMAX to DMX of meta dev whose size is variable .

We have vmax meta luns of size 140869 MB(137.56) created with 4 member including head .The size of each member devices  35217 MB(34.39GB)

The size 1 Meta on VMAX------ 34.39*4=137.56 GB this is source device  R1

On DMX side we have DMX meta luns of size 138104 MB (134.86) created with 4 member including head .The size of each menbe devices 34526 MB(33.71 GB).----

The size of 1 Meta on DMX -------33.71*4=134.86 GB this is target device R2

Now i want to perform the SRDF operation from VMAX device to DMX devices .ie vmax devices will be R1 and DMX devices will be R2 .

Any one can  provide  me answer ..how can i achieve this operation ...as both devices are having variation in size and i donot have deivces of 34 GB in dmx  which can provide me the exact size of 137.56 GB ..

OR could i add one member  device of size 2.71GB  in formation DMX meta so that size of R2 device will become equal  as vmax devices  R1 .

But by doing so there will be miss match of menber devices as R1 will be 4 member and R2 on dmx will be 5 member devices ..

kindly someone help to sortout the above situation iam strucked on this ..

859 Posts

November 23rd, 2014 21:00

As far as I know its not possible to migrate from larger R1 to smaller R2. Do you only need it for migration purpose coz there is no point of having a replication like this as data wont be available for restore.

regards,

Saurabh Rohilla

51 Posts

November 24th, 2014 06:00

Hello!

DO you have thin provisioning in VMAX side? If so you can create proper volume just calculate how many cyllinders you have on R2 metamember device. If you use thick on both sites, you need to configure new devices on both sites with equivalent size of hypers on both sites, then you can pair the devices. And Rohilla is right that you can't pair devices with different size (especially for smaller R2, for vice versa it could be, but I'm not sure here).

12 Posts

November 24th, 2014 07:00

Dear rohilla and Evegeny..

Thanks for giveing clue .As you said i am creating the  R2 devices of same size as R1 .

With creation of SRDF pair i will try to perform the SRDF operation .

51 Posts

November 24th, 2014 08:00

Yes, of course, if it will not possible, you can create on VMAX(R1) the same size like R2. It is applicable for new volumes, if you already use volumes on R1 site, yes, here will be good to create on R2. In some cases (espesially if you use thick) you will not able to create the device with the same size on DMX (it depends from a hyper's size) you can create a bit large, you as I said before it is easy to do that on thin on VMAX

No Events found!