This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 26th, 2015 04:00

Inlines command in symmetrix DMX/VMAX

hi,

I am looking for guide on inline commands for the symmetrix focusing on commands that is normally used when looking or checking issue with the symmetrix.

is there any inlines guide that explain the details of the command and understanding the output of the commands.

thanks..

2.1K Posts

January 27th, 2015 21:00

hi mazlany,

The inline command is not customer facing command interface. As this VMAX product community is for customer learn and query VMAX features and ask for help. I'd like to recommend you search it somewhere EMC internally.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 27th, 2015 22:00

noted and thanks..

122 Posts

February 5th, 2015 22:00

Inline commands are restricted and its internal use only.

We cannot provide inline command in this forum

9 Posts

December 17th, 2021 00:00

command line interpreter known as inlines is well documented. Each inline command and subcommands has HELP section, which will provide in most cases a  comprehensive manual, how to use it, sometimes sample outputs etc. But I guess nobody is using this feature - based on my experience with dell/emc support - inlines is a religion and sequences to run, provided by support guides or 10th level engineering - magic. Inside it is just a simple cli - powerfull, sharp as a knife, restricted only to the support guys. The main differece to the other cli is the parser - instead "show engine 7 port 8" it will looks like AB,CD,07,EF, 08. First IBM mainframes style - from developers to techs, not for Customer. Sometimes on the chinese sites you can find a copy of the internal inlines user guide. Nothing special, but this "restricted for the support only" creates a myth. In unix you can run  "rm -rf /" . In the open systems world even  vendors of the closed linux appliances opens for the root access - a barber will not diagnose with the tech support  a sophisticated problem. By example  EMC in the last RecoverPoint firmwares. From my point of view some inlines should be somehow restricted for barbers, but some are very usefull, by example monitoring. Try do find without inlines access what is the deduplication, compression and data reduction for a volume ... If you are a Customer - no warry about Inlines - it is rally an internal tool. Use symmcli. 

No Events found!