Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2014 10:00

Is there a Unisphere ssh login to access symcli?

We just deployed Unisphere for VMAX1.6.2.11 virtual appliance in our environment to configure our new VMAX 10k.

EMC pre-defined 100% of the storage as TDAT's but the 'Extend a Thin Pool' wizard is not working (spins forever "updating"). So, while I wait to hear back from support, I need to get my devices into pools using symaccess symconfigure. The Extend option when viewing the pool only allows creating new TDATs, not adding existing ones.

I can login to the appliance via SSH, but the only accounts that I can find credentials for don't have authority to run symcli. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I've got a deadline of tomorrow to deploy 4tb of disks, and stuck on this.

FYI, I've got nearly 20 yrs symmetrix experience so I'm very familiar with symcli (to say the least!), but Unisphere is a new tool to me. I don't have any other Solutions Enabler installation that has access to the VMAX (we've deployed a new SAN for the VMAX) currently so Unisphere is my only window into the array right now.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 20th, 2014 10:00

support would not give me the root password, so i booted into single user mode (very easy to do for Suse, google it.) and reset the root password myself.  I don't typically run symcli commands on the appliance itself because i have dedicated symcli systems for that but i wanted to be able to import device groups so that it's easier to look at performance.

11 Posts

November 20th, 2014 11:00

Thanks, good info. Problem is that the entire VCenter is isolated from any real storage (running on small local disks until VMAX is configured), and I don't have the ability to deploy any VMs. The EMC VSI plugin also requires a private SE (SMI-S) but that's only a subset of symcli. So if I do add a real SE server, then I've got 3 SE servers, when 1 is enough. Ugh. But no space to create them since I have no storage to work with!

This all may seem odd, but the whole point of this project is to migrate 39tb of VCenter 5.0 systems from DMX to VMAX on a new SAN and VCenter 5.5 using Open Replication and Vmotion. SAN/DMX/VMAX first, then VCenter. We're using the VCenter 5.5 for Unisphere only right now, but the app team as a deadline to deploy 2 SAP systems, and the DMX is full. So I'm trying to get them the space they need on the new VCenter from VMAX.

point 2 - Been there tried that....Related Objects is empty. EMC pre-created 100% of the space and did not put anything in a thin pool. When I created the pool it actually failed when trying to create the devices to put in it, but still created an empty pool.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

jle wrote:

Hmm, no root access is good for security, but not good for getting work done.

reset root password and use the symcli just like you would on any other dedicated system. I am assuming you have gatekeepers presented to this VMs.

11 Posts

Hmm, no root access is good for security, but not good for getting work done.

73 Posts

Unfortunately, when deploying the vApp, there is no root access or ability to do much from the command line.  There is a cseadmin user that can be used when SSH is enabled, but it's rights are also extremely limited.  A couple of suggestions:

1.  Set up the vApp as a server (storsrvd daemon) and point an SE client to this vApp and you can then run symcli commands that way.

2.  Instead of using the 'Extend a Thin Pool' wizard, try going into the details of the thin pool, then clicking on the "Data Volumes" link in the upper right of Related Objects.  There will be an "Add Volumes to Pool" button on the bottom.  You are basically doing the same thing, just in a different way than the wizard. Make sure the TDATs are the same raid protection as what is already in the pool, or it won't see them to add to the pool. 

Good luck.

11 Posts

November 20th, 2014 19:00

Can't reset root password. I tried to get to the boot prompt after a reboot, but the window of opportunity is so short I can't even see the screen messages. There's a post on this on these forums, but I was unable to make it work on this system.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 21st, 2014 08:00

as soon as you see the boot menu press arrow up/arrow down on your keyboard and it will no proceed further

Booting SUSE in single user mode | Linux Blog

No Events found!