Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 24th, 2012 07:00

Lag between SYMCLI and SMC?

Hi,

I am new to the Symmetrix environment (VMAX-1, Enginuity 5875.249.188) and just trying to learn the basics at the moment. One thing a colleague of mine and I noticed is that the information available immediately upon execution of a command or task completion in SYMCLI does not show up in SMC. For example, in SYMCLI, using a Solutions Enabler, I just created 4 thin devices, bound them into a Meta and presented the new Meta to a host's storage group. The host sees the new LUN, able to use it w/o an issue. However when browsing the SG for this host in the SMC, the new LUN is not showing up. I was thinking there is some sort of a lag in refreshing the SMC, but almost 24 hrs later the new LUN is still not showing.

What could be the reasons for this and how can I make sure the info in SMC and CLI is in sync?

Thanks

Sergey

93 Posts

May 25th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

What is the SMC and SE version you are using?

You can perform a Refresh from the Symmetrix Management Console to get updates..

Regards

Amita

859 Posts

May 25th, 2012 02:00

Yes, SMC does polling and try to keep itself updated with the Symm Configuration but there are few things in SMC which may differ from SE. Since you are at 5875.249 code, I am assuming the SMAS version is 7.3.2 and higher? If SMC is at lower version then you can upgrade to this version as we have made lots of performance changes in 7.3.2.2

regards,

Saurabh

17 Posts

May 25th, 2012 07:00

Saurabh,

The version of the SMC we are using is 7.3.2.2

Thanks

Sergey

17 Posts

May 25th, 2012 07:00

Amita,

I did try hitting the refresh button multiple times and attempting to switch between viewing different storage groups in hopes that it would refresh the contents of the SG I was interested in. That did not help.

Sergey

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 25th, 2012 10:00

i have the same issue with SPA, i create new device groups or add new devices to an existing group, SMC nor SPA show the changes.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

May 28th, 2012 00:00

There are is one assumption I have to make to try to answer this.

1. Given that you can upgrade SMC/SPA you are running it on your own host not the VMAX SP.

Device groups are local to the host, unless using GNS. Test that the device is visible on the SMC host in the device group by running symdg show . I usually see a lag in the device group appearing in SMC/SPA that can be a coupel of hours. Try a symcfg discover to see if that triggers SMC into discovery or restart SMC/SPA

SPA will not record any stats for RDF2 device groups. You need to have RDF1 type device groups on the host where SPA is running.

HTH

Simon

5 Posts

May 29th, 2012 04:00

Hi There

In SMC try a discover that should update SYMAPI DB and SMC.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 29th, 2012 05:00

i've tried symcfg discover and every other possible option in SMC, the only way for me to update my device groups is to restart SMC/SPA service

16 Posts

May 30th, 2012 06:00

Yep. Pretty much.

Create everything from SMC nowadays.

Clean quick efficient.

Faster than CLI in some cases.

Shows up immidiatley

Only use CLI when I want to drill deep on a drive or RDF issue.

Mind you I have re-read the title .

Next time I will create my DG then add devices via CLI.

Check when they show in SMC.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

updating device groups (not storage groups) on the fly and see it imediatly in SMC/SPA ?

16 Posts

Works every time for me.

Symm Disc.bmp

17 Posts

May 30th, 2012 07:00

I'll have to test doing the discover from the SMC as the meta I was originally interested in finally showed up in the SMC. Not sure what was the trigger, but given my experience SMC vs the CLI, I would think doing CLI is actually faster as all the changes are reflected immediately without having to run discover or whatever else.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 30th, 2012 07:00

pacmansan wrote:

Next time I will create my DG then add devices via CLI.

Check when they show in SMC.

i do everything from the cli because i build/update my device groups dynamically, i would be curious to hear about your experience. Use the cli to build device group and drop a couple of devices in it .

8 Posts

June 6th, 2012 23:00

I faced this lag when the SMC/SPA was installed on a host that had less physical memory. after a while  the memory utilisation goes up and lag increases.

also, make sure that you have more than a handful GKs assigned to this host.    

155 Posts

June 12th, 2012 08:00

First Upgrade Solutions Enabler to ver 7.4.0 (latest version as per EMC), SMC to Version 7.3.3.3 and upgrade SPA version to 7.2.2.3,  but before upgrading SPA make sure with EMC that the dbschema will allow to restore historical data, if  you are analyzing performance with Historical data.

Lot of the problems you face have been addressed on this latest versions.

No Events found!