Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2015 10:00

New VMAX Array install & setup

Hello Guys,

Please explain me, How to setup New VMAX Array install & setup ? End to End

Means...

Whats steps performed by EMC Engineer & Whats steps Storage Admin performed.

If explain me step by step thats really helped out.

Thank you

May 12th, 2015 01:00

Hi,

have you had a chance to look at solve desktop tool ? you can download it from support site.. It helps you to get step by step procedure..

122 Posts

May 12th, 2015 03:00

Intial Bin will be loaded by EMC engineer, based on the requirement provided while order.

Storage engineer can  start with zoning, auto provisioning..etc

A masking view will have three elements,
Ports (the ports of the arrays)
Initiators (HBA wwns of the Hosts you are connecting) and
storage groups(actual devices on the array).

When combing storage, initiators and ports in the same masking view you will have access to the storage between the array and the host.

I'd recommend using the GUI Unisphere for vmax as a tool to manage the storage. You can do it through command line also but both the command line and unisphere GUI operate the same except for the GUI and the command line differences.

In the case of a vmax3 the vmax is essentially plug and play with a very short time frame to get to first IO.

In the case of previous generations i.e. vmax2 or 10k, 20k and 40k there is a bit more work, as you would have to create gatekeepers to allow for an interface line Unisphere to be able to communicate and you would also have to consider how you want to lay out the backend, this is already done for you in VMAX3, 

122 Posts

May 12th, 2015 03:00

If you feel your query is answered, please mark the question as "Answered". Your response is appreciated.

12 Posts

May 12th, 2015 04:00

I use this as a provisioning CLI template for provisioning the VMAX 10k, 20k and 40K in the past to get it up an running and I find it quite useful. After the array is cables and the array binfile is loaded.

Auto provisioning

Example

symaccess -sid-type initiator -wwn-namecreate ------symaccess -sid-type initiator -name HOST_NAME_IG create symaccess -sid-name HOST_NAME_IG -type initiator -ig HOST_NAME_HBA0_P0 add

symaccess -sid-name HOST_NAME_IG -type initiator -ig HOST_NAME_HBA0_P1 add

symaccess -sid-name HOST_NAME_IG -type initiator -ig HOST_NAME_HBA1_P0 add

symaccess -sid-name HOST_NAME_IG -type initiator -ig HOST_NAME_HBA1_P1 add

symaccess -sid-type port -name SYM_id_pE_PG create

symaccess -sid-type port -name SYM_id_07E_PG add -dirport 07E:0

symaccess -sid-type port -name SYM_id_08E_PG add -dirport 08E:0

symaccess -sid-type port -name SYM_id_09E_PG add -dirport 09E:0

symaccess -sid-type port -name SYM_id_10E_PG add -dirport 10E:0

symaccess -sid-type storage devs -name SYM_id_GKs_SG create

symaccess -sid-name _GKs_MV -sg SYM_id__GKs_SG -pg SYM_id_E_PG -ig HOST_NAME_IG create view

symconfigure -sid-cmd "create pool CKD_SATA, type=thin;" commit -nop

symconfigure -sid-cmd "add dev to pool CKD_SATA, type=thin, member_state=enable;" commit -nop symconfigure -sid-cmd "bind tdev to pool SSD;" commit -nop

symconfigure -sid-cmd "add rdf mirror to devra_group = 1, mirror_type = RDF1, remote_dev =, invalidate = R1, start_copy = yes, rdf_mode = acp_disk;" commit -nop

9 Posts

May 13th, 2015 03:00

Hi Subash,

Thanks for the valuable Answers.

So initial ACLX device EMC Engineer only created & install the Solution Enabler right ?

Once EMC handover What are all the steps performed by Storage Admin ?

Like Hard disks to Hypers etc... up to Auto provisioning

If you don't mind could you please let me know these steps...its great help to me.

9 Posts

Hi Ugin,

Thanks for the reply.....

Storage Zoning & provisioning I know.. but My Question is...Once we purchase the New VMAX array what is the initial steps performed by EMC engineer ?

1. When is BIN file install & configure ?

2. When is Solution Enabler install & configure?

3. When & how create the ACLX device ?

4. How many things done by EMC engineer ?

5. At which stage EMC engineer handover the array to us ?

Please let me know step by step process.

Thank you

Raj

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

1) Bin file has to be created by the field team according to your requirement, no of devices, protection technologies etc, once the sketch is planned, it has to get approval from Symmetrix PSE lab recovery team member. At this change they do recommend if any changes/corrections needs to be done. You will have to contact ASR/SAM/CE for the site to get status on this.

2) Well once the array is configured completely, you can create and assign gatekeeper devices to start install/configure Solutions enabler.

3) ACLX is bit we set on the devices (something related to GK devices, am not sure about this.)

4) Initial configuration is completely done by EMC, you would have paid for these services at the time of purchase. But few are paid services and has to engage EMC Professional services team..

5) Handover ? You meant ready to use ? if yes, once the configuration of the array is stable and commissioned according to your requirement, you can take over a SYMMETRIX

9 Posts

May 13th, 2015 08:00

Hi Subash, Thanks to reply about my quires....If you don't mind can you let me know Storage Admin steps... not the Provisioning steps... At what stage EMC Engineer handover the array to Storage Admin ? After that what are all the steps performed by Storage Admin up to provisioning...

Please let me know the process...

Thank you

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 13th, 2015 08:00

Yes Raj,

Initial setup is done by EMC engineer,

And at the time of handover, i guess few devices/hypers would have already created which is being done according to the bin file configuration. And once you get the array you would be in a position to start provisioning, you can perform normal routines starting, created devices, create port groups, initiator groups etc

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

May 13th, 2015 11:00

Once the EMC CE physically installs and powers on the VMAX3, the run through a health check and enable what is called a "show bit" on one or more FAs. This enables you to see the ACLX device down one or more FA ports (EMC CE will tell you which FA port to zone to). This will allow you to, once SYMCLI and Unisphere is installed, discover the VMAX and provision actual gatekeepers to your SYMCLI host. You'll obviously need to zone that FA to your host, but this is the initial setup. If you're familiar with VMAX1/2 configurations, you just have to create some 3 cyl TDEVs from the default SRP (pool), then assign them using autoprovisioning groups to your SYMCLI host. If you purchased EMC services, usually this will be done by the implementation engineer. Once the array has been discovered and is managed by your SYMCLI/Unisphere host, you (storage admin) can take over creating volumes and assigning them using autoprovisioning groups.

This is about as basic as it gets. EMC has taken all of the complicated tasks out of provisioning and array configuration.

9 Posts

May 14th, 2015 00:00

HI Frank, Thanks reply to my query. Could you please let me explain bit more, if possible.

f we purchase New VMAX Array, 1. EMC Engineer performing steps 2. Storage Admin performing steps

EMC Engineer performing steps

Example:

1. BIN configure

2. ACLX device configure

3. Solution Enabler install & configure

Like the steps in order step by step, becuase I'm not sure which one 1st.

Which are all the things performed by EMC Engineer & at what stage they handover the VMAX Array to Storage Admin

Storage Admin performing steps

Example:

1. Hard Disks to Hyper create

8. Zoning

9. Auto Provisioning (Storage, initiator, port groups create & Masking view

Like the steps in order step by step, because I'm not sure which one 1st. (I know about zoning & Auto Provisioning only)

If you let me know the process step by step, its real great help out to me.

122 Posts

May 14th, 2015 01:00

Please contact the local field team / sales team for exact details

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

May 14th, 2015 06:00

There's not much more to explain, You're making this more complicated than it really is.

1. Order VMAX3

2. EMC manufacturing builds VMAX3

3. EMC manufacturing installs BIN file, which creates 1 Storage Resource Pool (thin pool)

4. EMC ships to your data center.

5. EMC CE installs......

After that it picks up from where I mentioned above.

Where your "Storage Admin" takes over is after the EMC CE is finished installing. All you have to do is create thin devices. No more thick devices. No more META-volumes. Create thin devices, present to host via autoprovisioning. That is it. FAST policies are now called SLO (service level objective). Apply an SLO to a storage group. Done.

It's that simple.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 14th, 2015 08:00

i am curious why these questions, are you applying for a job ?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 14th, 2015 08:00

yeah, me too.. probably preparing for a storage admin inteview.. if yes, this is not the right place, no offense  though..

No Events found!