Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2012 08:00

Performance metrics threshold values ..

If anyone have the document , which has the threshold values (Max & Min) of performance metrics like Avg Read Timeout , Avg Write Timeout , IOS per Sec etc  for a VMAX / DMX ..please share ..or whar are the threshold values...?

We are pulling the reports from SPA or PM ..but to analyze the grapths or reports , we should know the threshold values with that we can say whether the storage array is having performance issue or not....

1.3K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 09:00

I wish there was a simple answer, but there isn't.   It depends on your workload.  Each IO type and the IO size is going to make a big difference in the maximum IOPs each component can achieve.

Watching your response times, and utilizations is probably the best way to determine storage health.

79 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 10:00

Have you tried talking to your Account Representative from EMC? EMC did help us in putting together a bundle of performance reports/charts (almost 200+ pages of PDF Doc) for our Array when we had a performance  related issue, recently.  The charts were self explanatory. We provided the start date and end date for them to analyze and we compared it with the suspected time window to see how things looked. It did take around a week for EMC to collect all the logs from our site and put this report together.

[Its good to have something which looks as sophisticated and colorful as the one that they created. After we presented it to the DBAs, APP Owners and System Administrators nobody from those teams came back to us with performance related issues. - at least not as frequently]

859 Posts

August 5th, 2012 20:00

Well Quincy is right there isnt a simple answer but there are few things you can keep track of:

1) Anything red/orage in SPA dashboard is not good.

2) Anything above 50% is not a good sign.

3) I dont like to see pin pointed graphs, like to see smooth curves

regards,

SAurabh

5 Posts

August 5th, 2012 23:00

i have a symmetrix and utilization is not red/orange and below 50% but I recieve alot of read misses on some storage groups, anything i should be worried about

thanks

1.3K Posts

August 6th, 2012 06:00

There is nothing wrong with read misses, they are normal for some workloads.

No Events found!