274.2K Posts

July 28th, 2013 21:00

SRDF software compression vs. Brocade FCIP compression

Hi,

We have the following configuration:

VMAX's

Brocade DCX's with fcip tunnel

SRDF/A (using FA ports in VMAX's)

We have compression enabled on fcip tunnel level, but software compression is disabled in VMAX.

What is the best practice? Use only one compression, do not use "doubled compression"?

Has anybody ever compared compression ratio of SRDF software compression vs, Brocade FCIP compression?

Does anybody know what algorithm VMAX uses for software compression?

Thanks,

Yuriy

2 Intern

• 

2.1K Posts

January 7th, 2015 22:00

VMAX SRDF have two kinds of compression, they are Software & Hardware compression.

Hardware compression for SRDF traffic over GbE is available through a compression chip:  On the compression-capable Front End I/O Module Carriers (Symmetrix VMAX systems)

Beginning with Enginuity version 5874, software compression can be used along with hardware compression. This may result in better compression

srdf_compression.png

You can see in above figure. Whatever the compression using from VMAX array. the Compressed Data is send over SRDF link which in your case is Brocade DCX's. I believe it suppose to be working as FCIP compression only affects during FCIP transmission then the data gonna be decoded to the opposite VMAX FE. But I'd like to suggest you do the test first.

No Events found!