Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2013 00:00

SYMCLI for TSO or z/OS UNIX Sytem Services

I have several scripts that issue SYMCLI commands. These run on a windows SYMAPI server and are used to administer our FB storage. I also administer CKD devices from the same windows SYMAPI server. But to simplify the CKD device management I would like to be able to issue SYMCLI commands via TSO or Unix System Services.  Is there a SYMCLI for TSO or USS included in Solutions Enabler for z/OS?

465 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 03:00

The z/os solutions enabler contains symapi server but not cli. You can however use mainframe enabler commands on the MF to manage ckd devices to a large extent,

Sent on the run

May 3rd, 2013 06:00

Thank Jason,

Unfortunately the command I wish to issue is symconfigure with create dev, map dev, add pav etc..and I dont think that can be done via Mainframe Enabler.  I have several zOS systems which do not share disks. They all use M9 M27 and various EAV volumes so my 'spare' ckd storage is left unconfigured in a Vmax disk group. 3390 devices are created and mapped/unmaped and deleted as and when they are needed on each system. The process is automated and scripted but its a bit cumbersome creating the SYMCLI scripts on the mainframe and then transfering them to a windows SYMAPI server to run. A TSO or USS SYMCLI would make it much easier.

465 Posts

May 6th, 2013 15:00

Well you are correct that there is no symconfigure equivalent with MFE. It is interesting that you have such a dynamic MF environment, not very typical. It seems that what you havein place via scripting is a reasonable approach. We did a similar thing in a mixed MF/open SRDF/A environment where RDF management was performed on the open side. We had a process to create .CSV files linked in to SMS management that fed open systems CLI script to modify the SRDF/A groups as necessary. That is the only other way i can see you doing your management. Have the MF produce a parameter file that is read by open systems script to create the input into CLI. But since you already have something in place...

No Events found!