Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2016 01:00

Unisphere for VMAX (Local/Remote)

Hello,

I need to implement below for our 4 VMAX arrays so that they can be managed by Unisphere also;

1) Unisphere for VMAX2 (10K, 20K, 40K) > 3 arrays

2) Unisphere for VMAX3 > 1 array

We have 1 Management Host (Local Configuration) on which Solutions Enabler is installed. Currently we SSH to this host and perform SYMCLI operations for all 4 arrays.

I have referred to Unisphere for VMAX Installation guide, but not understanding few points.

--> Is SMC different from Solutions Enabler ?

--> Local Configuration:

(a) Does this configuration means that Unisphere for VMAX needs to be installed on our current Management host?

--> Remote Configuration:

(a) Can I configure it in my company laptop?

(b) Create New VM > Install Solutions Enabler on it > Install Unisphere for VMAX3 on it > In "SymAPI Connection Type" field, select what? "Local" if installing Unisphere on our original Host OR "Remote" and specify our Management Host Node Name and Net Port details?

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 27th, 2016 09:00

correct

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 24th, 2016 04:00

Have you considered deploying Unisphere for VMAX virtual appliance ? All the software is already pre-installed, all you need to do is to deploy this VM, present 6 dedicated gatekeepers per array and you are all set.

119 Posts

May 24th, 2016 20:00

I am find for Unisphere VMAX VA also. But help me clear my doubt;

--> Local Configuration:

(a) Does this configuration means that Unisphere for VMAX needs to be installed on our current Management host which is directly connected to Arrays?

(a) Can I Install Unisphere in my company laptop?

(b) To make myself clear on the method:

1) Create New VM

2) Install Solutions Enabler on it

3) Install Unisphere for VMAX3 on it

4) In "SymAPI Connection Type" field, select what? "Local" if installing Unisphere on our original Management Host OR "Remote" and specify our Management Host Node Name and Net Port details?

Eventhough I am will deploy VA, then also I will have to point it to SYMAPI server, right?

119 Posts

May 25th, 2016 21:00

Awaiting reply please.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

May 26th, 2016 12:00

SunshineM wrote:

I am find for Unisphere VMAX VA also. But help me clear my doubt;

--> Local Configuration:

(a) Does this configuration means that Unisphere for VMAX needs to be installed on our current Management host which is directly connected to Arrays?

It needs to be installed on a server that has FC connectivity to the array

SunshineM wrote:

(a) Can I Install Unisphere in my company laptop?

(b) To make myself clear on the method:

1) Create New VM

2) Install Solutions Enabler on it

3) Install Unisphere for VMAX3 on it

4) In "SymAPI Connection Type" field, select what? "Local" if installing Unisphere on our original Management Host OR "Remote" and specify our Management Host Node Name and Net Port details?

Eventhough I am will deploy VA, then also I will have to point it to SYMAPI server, right?

Have you had a chance to review this install guide ? https://support.emc.com/docu68853_Unisphere-for-VMAX-8.2.0-Installation-Guide.pdf?language=en_US, page 16 and 17.  I read through the notes on installing Unisphere VE and did not see anything that talked about configuring SymAPI connection so it might be an option for when you install Unisphere in your own operating system, not VE based appliance.

119 Posts

May 26th, 2016 23:00

Ok, so for;

REMOTE Configuration:

On VM > We need to specify either Local or Remote (page 26) ?

On VA > We don't have to specify SYMAPI server details, but need to use GK devices ?

If Correct, then I have cleared my all doubts. Please reply

12 Posts

May 7th, 2018 06:00

hi,  can I configure unisphere with remote SYMAPI that uses the SYMAPI of the embedded management ?
I have configured remote solution enabler on the server I want to install on it the unisphere.

465 Posts

May 7th, 2018 16:00

If you have imbedded management, you already have an instance of Unisphere running within the imbedded management. There is no need to do what you are proposing. With imbedded management you get Unisphere and symapi server. You can configure a symapi client (symcli) by installing an instance of Solutions Enabler and configuring client/server.

To access Unisphere in the imbedded management, just point your browser to the IP of the Imbedded managemt, port 8443.

By the way, for new questions like this, you are better of starting a new discussion :-)

12 Posts

May 8th, 2018 00:00

thank you !!
I have a server with solution enabler but without connection to the SAN . I have configured the solution enabler using certificates, it is working over the LAN. Is it possible then ?

12 Posts

thanks
Can I use 2 symapi servers ?
Does the unisphere 360 require additional license?

12 Posts

thanks. but I have 2 VMAXs and I would like to install unisphere which will manage both of them . I have installed remote solution enabler server which manage both of them and I want unisphere also on this server. Is there a way to do it?

465 Posts

Symapi_server is in-band management only, This means FC/iSCSI connection required from host to array and for the host to be presented at least 6 Gatekeeper devices.

12 Posts

it is presented with GK but not over the SAN that is all. I configured SE remote(changed the netcfg file and configured it with certificates) . Will the unisphere still be able to work ?

465 Posts

OK thanks for the clarification. Yes, when you install Unisphere, point it to the symapi server on the imbedded management.

FYI, there is a product called Unisphere 360, it is an overarching Unisphere where you can interact with the different Unisphere 360 element managers. This might be a better solution than having an extra element manager, check it out here

465 Posts

Unisphere is single symapi server only, so to do what you want to do you will need a symapi server host that has gatekeepers assigned to it from both arrays. Then use that host for the unisphere install.

I'm a tech so cant answer the licencing question but here is more on 360:

https://www.emc.com/collateral/white-papers/h14944-emc-vmax-unisphere-360-wp.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9vCsGOz-6c

No Events found!