Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2015 03:00

VMAX 200K with Recover point replication ?

Hello guys,

I just want to know that can be implement Recover point Gen 5. appliance with VMAX 200K.

Is it possible to install the recover-point splitter on the HYPERMAX OS . Is that compatibility available in VMAX 3 series.

36 Posts

April 6th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

Thanks for the information and I was also having the hint about the same.

Is it possible to share any tech. note or release note for the same to present it to management team..

Thanks alot in advance.

522 Posts

April 6th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

There is no recoverpoint splitter with the VMAX3 unfortunately today. Because of this you won't be able to implement any RP splitter with the VMAX3 unless you front it with a VPLEX to use the VPLEX splitter or utilize RP4VMs for your VMware environment.

HTH,

-K

522 Posts

April 6th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

I'm not sure there is any document that explicitly states that it is not a feature for VMAX3 today, however the lack of technical documentation on it would likely be the indicator that it doesn't exist. The best document might be the VMAX3 Software Suite Data Sheet located here that details all of the software features with the VMAX3 today. RecoverPoint is not listed here and thus can be inferred that it does not exist today as an embedded splitter.

Utilizing a VPLEX or RP4VMs is the suitable alternative to this if RecoverPoint is of interest with the VMAX3. Let me know if you have any questions on these.

HTH,

-K

522 Posts

April 6th, 2015 06:00

Sure:

1) Using VPLEX, you means to say that we can connect the VMAX 3 with VPlex and can configure the distribute volumes for mirrored data ( as for replication )

>>> Yes, if you put the VMAX3 behind the VPLEX and virtualize its LUNs through the VPLEX, this would allow you to utilize the native RecoverPoint VPLEX Splitter with a RecoverPoint solution.

2) Or we can implement Virtual App. based RPA's for the VMAX replication. ???

>>> Not quite. There is no RP/VE for VMAX3. RP4VM's utilizes the virtual RPA's, however the protection is at the VM level only and it is storage agnostic. So if you presented 5 x VMAX3 LUNs to your ESX environment and then create datastores on those 5 LUNs to store the VM's, RP4VMs would be implemented to protect those VM's, but not anything LUN-level.

3) or We need to connect - VMAX < -> VPLEX <-> RPA for replication ??

>>> Yes, this is one of the ways to protect VMAX3 with RecoverPoint. If you don't desire to protect at a VM-only level, then putting the VMAX3 behind the VPLEX and utilizing the natie VPLEX splitter with RecoverPoint would be the only way to protect the VMAX3 at a LUN-level with RecoverPoint.

HTH,

-K

36 Posts

April 6th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Thanks for helping answer.

Just need some more info. about the VPlex or RP4VM.

1) Using VPLEX, you means to say that we can connect the VMAX 3 with VPlex and can configure the distribute volumes for mirrored data ( as for replication )

2) Or we can implement Virtual App. based RPA's for the VMAX replication. ???

3) or We need to connect - VMAX < -> VPLEX <-> RPA for replication ??

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 8th, 2015 23:00

Hi

No Anil, its available now, EMC has introduced VPLEX as Splitter for RecoverPoint by using the Physical recoverpoint appliances, i am trying to get the technical documents on this soon i will get back to you with docs.

coming to echolaughhmk ans use the first ans as best practice emc also recommending the same.

Here is the recent note from EMC

To strengthen our current data protection offering on EMC VMAX3 platform, EMC is announcing a competitive package option by combining RecoverPoint and VPLEX to protect VMAX3. Leveraging the VPLEX splitter and putting VPLEX at the front end of VMAX3 enables RecoverPoint to deliver continuous data protection to an EMC VMAX3 array via VPLEX

VPLEX + RecoverPoint for VMAX3 is available from March 9, 2015.

20 Posts

October 28th, 2015 13:00

Any word on when the VMAX3 splitter will be available? I read 2nd half of 2015 but I have not heard/read anything more and the end of 2015 is approaching.

1 Rookie

• 

108 Posts

March 8th, 2017 17:00

Guys,

Currently we have some LUNs which is mapped to host through VMAX3 , however we wanted to do replication for those LUNs.

We were unable to map the LUN to VPLEX SG , since the device cannot be in a two different storage group at FAST. Total of around 80 SG , which we have already created and LUNs are mapped to it from VMAX3. How do we map those LUNs to VPLEX SG  and do the replication?

121 Posts

March 9th, 2017 05:00

You want make the LUN so that a directly-zoned host has access to it AND VPLEX? That is not a supported action. You risk data corruption since VPLEX will not know about the changes the host is directly making to the LUN. If you want to use the VPLEX Recoverpoint splitter, then all of the host traffic must also go through VPLEX.

1 Rookie

• 

108 Posts

April 3rd, 2017 18:00

Do we have any document which explains about this ?

Currently the hosts are connected through VMAX and the same LUN was mapped to VPLEX . From Vplex , its been used for replication through Recoverpoint . So the data corruption here says there won't be a valid replication.?

April 3rd, 2017 21:00

mapping to VPLEX while hosts are in direct access with VMAX can cause issue, and for RP to replicate traffic must go through VPLEX and not VMAX. thefore follow the encapsualtion process by taking host downtime, ensure no direct access with VMAX - on host sees luns through VPLEX you are set for replication through Recoverpoint.

No Events found!