Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 21st, 2015 11:00

VMAX 40K error when expanding a volume: Error occurred while Defining change number 1: The requested device has active sessions

I am attempting to expand some volumes, and getting the following error message.  I've done two others and they completed successfully.  Any insight to what active sessions could hinder the expansion?  How to resolve?

C:\Users\A1195732-3>symconfigure -sid 452 -cmd "add dev 891C:8933 to meta 308F, protect_data=TRUE, bcv_meta_head=8934;" prepare

Execute a symconfigure operation for symmetrix '000195702452' (y/ ) ? y

A Configuration Change operation is in progress. Please wait...

Establishing a configuration change session...............Established.

Error occurred while Defining change number 1:

The requested device has active sessions

Terminating the configuration change session..............Done.

The configuration change session has failed.

11 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 13:00

Hi Candace,

Did you fully allocate the BCV meta head to the correct pool before you tried the command? Also, you could re-check the devs you want to add not to be used or in clone/SRDF sessions.

Br

November 24th, 2015 08:00

Thanks Adel!

The BCVs were fully allocated but I did find that two of the metas had clone sessions.  I received this advise from EMC:

"The issue here is that there is already active clone / VSE snap sessions defined for the source device 958A.  To copy the data out to the protection BCV the array needs to use the clone mechanism, that’s currently in use with the VP Snap sessions on this device. 

Currently device 958A has 15 clone VSE sessions (VP SNAP).  They are a point in time copy of the device 958A.  If you terminate the sessions, hosts accessing those point in time devices will lose access to those devices.  Essentially once you terminate the VSE session the point in time capture will be deleted from the array.

IF you need a copy of the point in time data from one of these VSE sessions you will need to do a fully clone copy to another device.  This will take time and you can’t start the META Exp until this is done. However this will mean you have another full ‘gold copy’ of data somewhere on the box.

Once the META expansion is complete you will need to re-establish the sessions."

No Events found!