Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2012 03:00

how to find Disk physical loc in VMAX

Hello everyone,

i'm looking for a way to find physical location of failed disks so that they can be replaced. i just want to find the disks using there director,interface and target number.

like DF-7C C18...now where this disk is located in storage bay...argent help is needed.

waiting for your kind response..

93 Posts

June 28th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

The Drive should be in Disk bay 2A, DAE 3. Also when you will run Drive replacement script, it will let you know the location of the drive.

Are you Customer Engineer ?

EMC recommends the FRU replacements to be performed by EMC Customer Engineer/Partner Customer Engineer.

I would suggest you open a Case with EMC.

Thanks

Amita

39 Posts

June 28th, 2012 09:00

Amita could you explain me a little more on how you was able to find the location of disk. i won't be replacing the disk on my own. concern's will..

465 Posts

June 28th, 2012 19:00

Hi,

As Amita said, there are EMC tools on the SP that indicate to the CE where a failed drive is physically located. There is also a map in the frame.

465 Posts

June 28th, 2012 21:00

At 5875 microcode, the array can be set for customer replacement of disk drives. If this is enabled, SMC is used to run the process to replace the drive. As part of this procedure the drive is physically marked in the array with a flashing LED sequence. Also in the SMC instructions to perform the disk replacement are details on the physical location of the drive.

39 Posts

June 28th, 2012 22:00

is there any mapping of director,interface and target TO physiical disk...??? i mean any printed doc....

yes i know there is a procedure of disk replacemnet which flashes failed disk LED. but i was curious about what if i don't want to run the replacment wizard and still needed to find the loc of failed disk using only codes..

465 Posts

June 28th, 2012 23:00

I don't believe there is any customer documentation the physical location of drives. I don't think there has been any requirement for this until the CRU (customer drive replacement) came along and that has been satisfied with the SMC procedure. In your original post you needed to know where the location of the disk is for a drive replacement. Why is it that you don't want to use SMC for this?

39 Posts

June 29th, 2012 00:00

ok here is what i want to achieve....

i need to locate the serial number starting with BE10xxxxxxxxxx...i've managed to find the other serial with 8 digits like 3SJ1Gxxx.....

this BE10xxxxxxxxx number is located at the front of a disk. that's why i needed to know the locaton. whereas smc only shows other serial.

waiting for your kind response.

812 Posts

June 29th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

The 'BExxxxxxxxxxx'  is the EMC serial number and the 8 digit serial number is the vendor serial number, as per my understanding.

Vipin V.K

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 24th, 2012 03:00

Hi Ali ,

Below command should provide you with failed disks in the frame:

symdisk list -sid XXX -failed

it should provide you all the info required and further

if you want to decode the drive to look more detailed  as such it belongs to which disk group and the devices in it , their type and status of them

use

symdisk list -sid XX -da XX -interface X -tid X -v,, for the info needed in these you would get it from previous command.
From your above discussion,,,,The 8 digit serial number is used for EMC internal purpose.
Please let me know if this answered your query

39 Posts

September 11th, 2012 01:00

Thanx GTX for your precise answer.

bt i'm wondering is there any to find out THIS 8 DIGIT serial for failed disks using symcli or sms....????

help would be much appreciated.

3 Apprentice

• 

457 Posts

February 23rd, 2023 04:00

Easy way boss download the manual you will know, else open the back side door and see on the left or right side, the marking should be there.

3 Apprentice

• 

457 Posts

March 14th, 2023 01:00

still if the issue is not resolved check the Below clear POST:-

https://davidring.ie/2014/09/22/emc-vmax-identify-failed-drive-location/

3 Apprentice

• 

457 Posts

March 26th, 2023 00:00

This post will Help you alot:-

https://davidring.ie/2014/09/22/emc-vmax-identify-failed-drive-location/

If Query is answered please accept as a solution, if you like the POST give a KUDO.

Regards

Singh

No Events found!