Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2012 14:00

8/9 Webcast: Advanced Isilon OneFS Integration with VMware vSphere

Thursday, August 09, 2012, 8:00 am PT / 11:00 am ET

Hosts: James Walkenhorst, Virtualization Solutions Architect, EMC Isilon Storage Division and Dave Henry, Virtualization Practice Lead, Accunet Solutions

Join us: Advanced Isilon OneFS Integration with VMware vSphere

New vStorage APIs in vSphere 5 expand capabilities for virtualized data centers. The vSphere Storage API for Array Integration for NAS (VAAI-NAS) offers new features for NFS datastores. The vSphere Storage API for Storage Awareness (VASA) helps lay the foundation for cloud automation. Join us for this deep-dive into using these advanced features on Isilon’s Scale-Out NAS with OneFS. Watch these features in action.

Join us for this webcast and learn to:

• Configure your vSphere NFS datastores to get the full performance benefits of VAAI-NAS.
  • Exploit VASA to automate placement of VMs to the correct datastores from vCenter.
  • Identify special considerations when using VAAI and VASA with scale-out NFS datastores.

256 Posts

August 7th, 2012 12:00

From @davemhenry Geek Fluent Blog: Isilon Integration with VAAI-NAS and VASA.

It’s come up on my VAAI v2 (NFS) write-up that today there are only two products that offer vSphere Storage API for Array Integration for NAS (VAAI-NAS) integration with vSphere 5. We all know that more will be coming, and we all hope it’ll be sooner, rather than later. Personally, I predict that Isilon will be the next storage array with full VAAI-NAS support in VMware’s Compatibility Guides. Read on: http://geekfluent.com/2012/08/03/isilon-integration-with-vaai-nas-and-vasa/

256 Posts

August 8th, 2012 06:00

121 Posts

August 8th, 2012 07:00

Definitely looking forward to it!

121 Posts

August 11th, 2012 13:00

The recording of the webcast is now available online here.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 12th, 2012 11:00

are snapshot supported for directories that are being used as NFS datastores for VMware on a cluster that consists of NL-108 nodes.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 13th, 2012 14:00

Interesting, support told me to remove SnapshotIQ schedules for directories being used for VM datastores.

256 Posts

August 13th, 2012 14:00

From James Walkenhorst

Assuming we’re talking SnapshotIQ snapshots, the answer is yes. If these snapshots are intended for use with 3rd-party backup software, then regular restore tests are recommended to ensure the stability and reliability of the backed-up data.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

August 14th, 2012 08:00

We wanted to use SnapshotIQ to take snapshot of directories that are used for VM datastores. In case if VM crashed we could recover it from a snapshot (crash-consistent copy, i know). We started having issues with VM disk i/o errors and support said that we had to remove snapshots for directories that are being used for vmdk files. We are not using vCenter plugins or anything like that.

30 Posts

August 14th, 2012 08:00

Sorry - without knowing what you're trying to use SnapshotIQ for, what issues you're having, or what the larger context is, I'll leave it to you and your support tech to work out. SnapshotIQ integrates with the Isilon vCenter plugin to snap VMs for backup, so it's obviously supported, but I don't know enough about your environment to second guess what Support is trying to do.

30 Posts

August 14th, 2012 10:00

Can you email me (james.walkenhorst@emc.com) your support ticket?

No Events found!